Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im so close to biting the bullet on a bike I have wanted since it came out, a black 3rd gen. Buying used scares me but for the money I cant help myself.... Should I be? this engine doesnt have problems like the hondas burning oil ect. Both amazing deals IMO. One is modded with slightly more mileage, Ive heard M4 exhaust is overly loud and makes no power.... How true is this? I want a pretty quiet bike. But is a grand cheaper, the other seems to be totally stock. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1471068734.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/1472976335.html

·
Registered
447 Posts
Me, I think I would get the modified one, it might have been ran harder, but these bikes are built for it, and its only 4k on it. I would be switching out parts anyways, the stock bike looks light it might not have been taken care of. Actually, try to see both with your eyes and get the best one from there, stocker will have stock parts so you can mod it and put it back if need be, modified might not come with stock parts. Though when I sell a bike I give them the aftermarket and stock parts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
OH!!! big thing, he said he switched to synthetic after 1k miles, you need to go back to non oil and finish the break in, it is supposed to be ran for 1200-1500 mi on non synth oil for a full break in then put on synth.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Buy the stock one I have had two brand new zx10's this year a 08 in february and I just bought a 09 in september and they are very quiet and relatively new to everyone. Not many people have them yet and they are beast just like the 1st and 2nd gens but you can create your own monster instead of stealing someone elses style. plus the 3rd Gen has KIMS and it works when ish gets slippery around corners. THE "traction control" (KIMS) will help on uneven surfaces wet surfaces and especially rocks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'd rather have a stock bike than a modded one, like starting a new painting on a fresh canvas. Even though the one has a nice list of mods I always wonder if they were installed correctly and how the bike was treated etc. Does the modded one come with all the stock parts? If so you could always remove all the add ons and sell them along with the stock stuff so you could build the bike up with all the parts you like to make it your own! I guess either one is a good deal, obviously your getting more with the modded one but less miles on the stock one. it's a 50/50 thing.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
KIMS is not traction control.^^^

I would go for whatever is in your budget after looking at both. The modded one could be beat or not, same for the stock one. If you go for the modded one, I would sell whatever you don't want and use that fundage to create you own bike. A grand difference plus the funds from the mods you sell would go nicely towards modding her out for ya. My .02

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Id buy the modde one and sell whatever parts you dont want to buy new ones. Thats a great price and a beautiful bike, only thing Id ditch is the m4 and the pig spotters, from ther youve got a good start

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Id buy the modde one and sell whatever parts you dont want to buy new ones. Thats a great price and a beautiful bike, only thing Id ditch is the m4 and the pig spotters, from ther youve got a good start
:+1: thats what i was thinking that way you get a great bike with a pc and filter to start out with and you can get aftermarket pipes and parts for a pretty good deal, dont worry about the miles both of them are still brand new!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Get the stock bike offer $6500...

I have just shy of 20,000 miles on mine purchased new... This is the first bike that made me want to buy a heated jacket and gloves; it's that much fun!!!

The 08 ZX10 was rated #1 in sportrider magazine!

It's been a few years since Kawi was number 1 in the liter bike class that says a lot about this third GEN ZX10!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The M4 is LOUD, seriously, if you like pretty quiet, that is not for you. Take a close look at both of them, figure out which one is for you. Either way you are going to want to change the exhaust I am sure. Also, the PC III is fine, but he really should have gotten the PC V for it, if you get the stock one, do not waste time getting the PC III just get the V model.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, what are some simple checks that should be done? The only thing I can think of is to ride it and make sure the trees are aligned, no signs of fork oil leakage ect.... no smoking, but on the modded one maybe what looks like smoke may just be a rich tune....

As for break in I dont feel like it really matters as long as the oil was changed....

·
Registered
279 Posts
KIMS is not traction control.^^^

I would go for whatever is in your budget after looking at both. The modded one could be beat or not, same for the stock one. If you go for the modded one, I would sell whatever you don't want and use that fundage to create you own bike. A grand difference plus the funds from the mods you sell would go nicely towards modding her out for ya. My .02
:bump:I know KIMS isnt traction control thats why I put it in ""

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
ohh my bad. I hate it when people call it that LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts