Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to be careful as the temperature drops. It was only in the low 60's here yesterday and I went for a little scoot around the block (about 10 minutes) cracked the throttle and laid a nice long black strip on the road. Bike went sideways beautifully but stayed in control.
Just remember it is going to take a while for that compound to heat up and it will be slick until they are at temp.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Could you elaborate on that? I don't fully understand? :dontknow:

^^^plus once they've heat cycled out your riding on skates full time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish I saw this 2 weeks ago! I needed a reminder..my 04 with pp2ct street tires was getting serviced so I got on my Black 08 (dot race tires) for a short ride and 5 min in when a car hit brakes in front of me, I grabbed my f brake and the front slid and spit me down on left side at about 45mph! My back protector saved me as I only have bruised ribs/lung and my frame savers protected the bike! Street tires on street-Race tires on track..

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I saw this 2 weeks ago! I needed a reminder..my 04 with pp2ct street tires was getting serviced so I got on my Black 08 (dot race tires) for a short ride and 5 min in when a car hit brakes in front of me, I grabbed my f brake and the front slid and spit me down on left side at about 45mph! My back protector saved me as I only have bruised ribs/lung and my frame savers protected the bike! Street tires on street-Race tires on track..
I hope you are going to be ok.
I figured I had to post this up when it happened yesterday as so many of us forget that temperature changes and season changes can cause huge differences in ride characteristics. BE SAFE, Race tires are awesome when they are warm in a warm climate but are scary and unsafe when cold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am clueless on the heatcycle.. Is this the degenerative nature the tire takes on after a number of high temperature runs? As in they loose characteristics consitent with gripping? And does it effect only DOT race tires? I am running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's at the moment and am wanting to switch on the next change to the Power One's.. I do a couple of track days annualy, but I live in the Mountains of Tennessee and am only about 45 minutes from Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon and run my knees down that yellow stripping often.. Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Race compounds are not formulated to heat up and cool down repeatedly. Because of their formulation which is intended to provide maximum grip at temperature they will quickly become brittle, hard and oily after repeated heat cycles (what you would normally do on a street tire)

performance street compound tires are formulated to withstand repeated heat cycles the rubber staying pliable and not hardening after continuous cycling.

Race tires, and I would even argue DOT race tires is a bad idea on the street unless you use tire warmers 10 minutes before heading out of your garage, do your commute at over 135 mph, and change to a fresh set right when you get home. :p

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My Dunlop GPA works great when hot on the track, but I noticed the same thing a few times this winter... Spins EASILY and can be a little nerve racking if you are not expecting it. That is why I bought a new rear wheel to run a street tire and track tire separately.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i took my pirelli track tires off, the front was still in great shape so i gave it to a buddy who's front had a nail in it. he put it on, proceeded to crash the bike the very next morning. tried to blame it on my tire. i reminded him (for at least the 5th time) that its a track tire and riding it when its 35 degrees outside is probably not the best idea.

so yes, be careful with your track tires; they dont stick for shit when its cold outside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts