Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
Well, I got mine so I thought I'd update this thread that started it all!

Yes, I took advantage of the savings with the Titax rims and I got them installed finally. So here's my take on it all.

The price savings and design was too good to pass up! The order process and everything along the way was just as Davo described. He was real helpful along the way keeping me updated in the process! It was pretty easy.

I sent Davo an email to place my order and heard back from Lumir at the factory shortly after. Paid the amount through PayPal for the amount advertised on June 11 and the wheels showed up on my doorstep on July 9. They were shipped out quick and came directly from the Czech Republic via FedEx. They bounced around in shipping at several FedEx locations and I can't explain why. Maybe July 4th had something to do with it. I also had to fill out the FedEx import paperwork directly through FedEx to clear Customs and that was a fast process.

This is how the box showed up:

Yes, if you couldn't figure that out from the pictures, I went with the gloss black version to mimic the stock '16 wheel color. I thought long and hard about the Kawi green color but decided to go more subtle on it all and add some green accent tape to it.

After ordering the wheels, I ordered the steel rear 525 sprocket from Superlite steel rear in the 41 tooth count like I was running on my stock wheels. This is for the Titax wheels they have listed at SprocketCenter.com and the same one for the "race wheels". Along with that, I got the 8.3mm angled valve stems. Like you see earlier on in the thread, that's all I needed.

As I went about mounting them, I did have a minor issue. The rotor carriers had a small bur on the edge of the hole that wouldn't let the rotor bolts start easy. I contacted Davo about that and the response confirming the thread size and pitch came back quick. I deburred the threads easy and that was all that was needed. They also assured me that was an odd issue and not something they've seen before. No one else should see that and they offered to make it right with some new carriers. It didn't matter to me as I just ran the bolts through from the back to deburr them.

After that, I weighed them against the stock rims. The Gen 5 wheels are already pretty light. I set the OEM rims up the same as Titax rims with the carriers, spacers, bolts, and everything else other than the tires. I weighed the front at a full 1.0 lb weight-loss on the wheel and parts and a just over 1.5 lbs on the rear. They felt lighter than that in my hands and the weight distribution was more to the outside edge of the Titax ones.

I reused my rear Q3+ that only had a few hundred miles on it and I mounted a brand new front tire to it. Mounting the tires was no problem as the drop center was deep as expected. The first ride I noticed an immediate difference. Some of that had to do with the new front tire and we all know that there is nothing better than new tires on the bike! But it was obvious that the lighter wheels required much less effort to initiate the turn. It was also pretty noticeable that the effort mid-corner to change lines was less than I had been used to. The acceleration was improved, but not drastically. The front wheel comes up easier though! That was more evident when accelerating hard on one particular road in 4th gear and cresting a small hill. The front went airborne in 4th gear at 130mph more so than with the stock wheels! That was cool! That showed me that despite the small measured weight loss on the front, it is much more evident in practice when rotating since the distribution is different. They handled the potholes and the wheelies with no complaints.

In all honesty, the Oz Piega wheel was my first preference in aesthetics. These Titax ones were a close second and it was hard for me to justify the price difference offered here when I can't see the wheels while riding. :p Glad I jumped on this offer. They look good on the bike! I just need to get some "ZX-10RR" stickers for it now. ;):ROFLMAO:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comparison of the wheels and how they were weighed:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
Those look great
Thanks. I think so too!

@SkyDork did you have to pay duty tax at customs?
Nope, not a penny. They were just as Davo claimed, no additional costs other than the valve stems and sprocket to fit the wheels. Shipping is included in that amount and that is all there was! The import form just acknowledges that you aren't trying to bring a vehicle or stolen parts into the country. Here's a link to the form that I had to fill out that the shipper can't. FedEx emailed it to me with the instructions on what to do. I just had to sign it, check box 2A, and put "motorcycle wheels made by the shipper" on it and send it back to them. They said that was a pre-customs clearance form to speed it all up.

Soon after the wheels were delivered, FedEx sent me the $0 invoice for my records. :) All official!

·
Registered
18 zx10r
660 Posts
Thanks. I think so too!

Nope, not a penny. They were just as Davo claimed, no additional costs other than the valve stems and sprocket to fit the wheels. Shipping is included in that amount and that is all there was! The import form just acknowledges that you aren't trying to bring a vehicle or stolen parts into the country. Here's a link to the form that I had to fill out that the shipper can't. FedEx emailed it to me with the instructions on what to do. I just had to sign it, check box 2A, and put "motorcycle wheels made by the shipper" on it and send it back to them. They said that was a pre-customs clearance form to speed it all up.

Soon after the wheels were delivered, FedEx sent me the $0 invoice for my records. :) All official!
Cool. Does it use OEM spacers or includes new spacers?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
Cool. Does it use OEM spacers or includes new spacers?
Comes with its own spacers. They are different sizes to account for the bearing distances in the hub. But the spacers provided all work with the stock axles. Just put the axles in and go.

Off the grid

Reactions: jd41

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
Are the spaces captive?
I would say they are captive.

I say that with my engineering hat on. The spacers aren't so much captive as they are fitted. I describe it that way because they are snug fit so they won't fall out easily like the stock ones do. They don't have the capitve edge like normal captive spacers I've used in the past do, but they aren't free to fall out on their own. They stayed in place the whole time while mounting both rims on the bike without issue. Easier than dealing with the stock spacers and I had Driven captive spacers on my stock rims. While these are different than the Driven spacers, they function the same way compared to the stock spacers. (y)

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
SkyDork,

Thanks for all the comprehensive info and review, bud. You and OP have convinced me that these are the unnecessary wheel purchase I will make in the near future. That price is too good to refuse!

Cheers, 10R peeps

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
SkyDork,

Thanks for all the comprehensive info and review, bud. You and OP have convinced me that these are the unnecessary wheel purchase I will make in the near future. That price is too good to refuse!

Cheers, 10R peeps
Full disclaimer on this:

I'm just a regular dude like everyone else on this site. I've been here a long time and have the nifty banner by my username and the power to ban members. But that's as far as that goes. I took advantage of the pricing here just like you can. I didn't get any benefit from being a Mod here or any kickbacks from the company for my review on it all. I'm just a guy who got a cool set of wheels at the advertised price and thought I'd let everyone else know about it. :geek:

Yes, that price is too good to miss out on which is why I got in on it all. Hope you can take advantage of it also! (y)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts