Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Dunlop Q3+s on my 16 KRT ABS and find them to be too soft. They lack a feel of the road which I prefer there is very little feedback. I have run Metzeler M7rr's which I liked but I switched to Dunlop because they are made in the USA. Unfortunately, they just don't provide me with the feel of the road that I like, too soft of a carcass tire for my liking.

I am looking for a stiff carcass tire and currently debating trying out the MICHELIN Power RS, Pirelli Angel GT 2 or the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2. I have never run a Pirelli tire but I am told they are basically Metzelers as they own them. I looking from some feedback from other riders who might have had the same issues with the Q3+ and what they run instead.

I am not looking for a race tire as I never go to the track. Just looking for a kick-ass street tire that can handle the power of the zx10 and get decent 5k plus mileage out of a set.

Thanks

So tell me your Tire of choice and why? Also the typical mileage you get out of them (street use not track).

1. Dunlop Q3+
2. Pirelli Angel GT 2
3. MICHELIN Power RS
4. Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2
5. Other...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps my suspension just needs to be re-adjusted? I will check that out, I have decided to slap another Q3+ on the back as the front still has plenty of life left. I will probably switch back to the Metzeler M7RR's when it is time to replace both.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Agreed, the Dunlop is the stiffest carcus of that list. What pressures are you running? Is the bike sprung for your weight?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you think Dunlops are too soft why are you considering Pirelli? Pirellis are pretty much the softest tire out there. Like someone else mentioned you may want to evaluate your pressures.

If you're not feeling the tire move around or fold chances are the tire may not be a problem and the lack of feel is from another issue.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Dunlop Q3+ is my tire of choice. Stiff carcass, good grip and decent life.
I have Q4s on my BMW and they are much lighter than the Q3, soft like a Pirelli and while they have amazing grip, they are very short lived. I killed a set on one day at the track.
I run Dunlop slicks on my ZX10rr track bike as they have the best life and grip.

If you like feedback, you may want a softer carcass like the Pirelli Supercorsa SP.

I have no experience with any brand other than Pirelli, Dunlop and Continental.

Check your suspension and current air pressures. PSI makes a huge difference.

I run my Q3s at 29/30 cold on my Ninja 400 for track duty, and run 34/35 in my Q3+ street tires on my BMW S1000R. (Same pressures for the Q4s on my BMW S1000RR too)

·
The Pace
6,906 Posts
Angel's are tour type, built for mileage and for tour bikes. All others are par so I just buy best price; right now m7's are way high so time to go shopping.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've ran almost every Pirelli street tire as well as the Supercorsas, and they are all amazing! the grip and feel of the road you get is incredible. If you are looking for a high mileage tire I would not go with Pirelli, but if you're looking for maximum grip in the twisties they are the best. The Q3s are decent for a 600 but suck on 1Ks. The only other tire I would consider trying at this point other than Pirelli's are the Dunlop Q4s which a lot of people have been raving about.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Q3+. You must have something else going on with you or the bike. Q3+ are a hyper sport tire with a good amount of grip and limited milage but the tire has plenty of side wall support. I run them on my 636 and Zx10 with no issues. Tire pressures are 32f and 31r cold mostly. Maybe your suspension is suspect. Many people do not know how to set up a bikes suspension, maybe you are one of them. Who knows. .......

·
Registered
52 Posts
bro ill be honest run the Pirelli angel gt tire series you wont be disappointed at all I had them on my daily streetfighter good grip awesome reliability I put them on @15k ran them to 22k so about 7k miles and I started peaking some wire and burned it off deff the longest lasting tire ive found I swear by them and that was the gen 1 tires lol

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I have Q-3+ and always wear out my front tire first and on the edges...you need to have someone set up your suspension properly. I'm 73 years old and canyon carve pretty fast. 31 front psi and 30 rear. if you are wearing out your rear first then your suspension isn't set up. Unless you are doing a lot of highway riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Q-3+ and always wear out my front tire first and on the edges...you need to have someone set up your suspension properly. I'm 73 years old and canyon carve pretty fast. 31 front psi and 30 rear. if you are wearing out your rear first then your suspension isn't set up. Unless you are doing a lot of highway riding.
You an a few others were absolutely right about the suspension setup and tire pressure. I basically followed the Dave Moss 2 click out suspension videos on youtube and via his subscription website. I purchased a new set of Dunlop Q3+'s as the front tire was scalloped. 40 PSI is way too high, a shop recommended 38psi while Dave Moss recommends starting with 32 and watching the tire patterns. I currently have it a 34 front and rear with good results.

The stock suspension set up was the issue. Forks were set at 6 from the factory, I adjusted them to 3 per Dave Moss Tuning suggestions and then to 2.5 as the wi-tie still had room upfront for travel without bottoming out. Basically, the front was set so stiff that the rear would lift thus causing the low side dump I had and it tossing up in the air as well as the tire in big bumps. I adjusted the compression and tension front and rear as shown in the Dave Moss Videos... I forget the settings and honestly they are different for everyone. The bike is night and day better! After new tires, suspension being correctly setup, Chain cleaned and oil changed the bike is better than where I got it by far.

I waffled with the Dunlop Roadmaster 3 vs the Perilli Angel GT other told me to try because they loved them. The free Dunlop Hat, $60 rebate visa card and good old Made in the USA won out. Plus the fact the rear tire was on the old Q3 and only the front was a Q3+... I was scammed! LOL.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input and feedback. I highly recommend the Dave Moss tuning videos to everyone, cheap money, you learn a boatload and your bike is tuned to you.
https://davemosstuning.com/2-clicks-out-zx-10r-rr-suspension-setup/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts