Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am getting the bike all set up for race season this year and have decided to slap some tires on that are a little better for drag racing. I still ride on the street a decent amount, not really agressive but as often as I can. I know a drag tire will wear much faster the more it is used on the street. Does anyone have any recomendations on which tires to go with? I like Shinkos because they are cheap, and seem to still be round enough to ride on the street and I have seen their performance at the track. The second question is I have an 06 10r with a rear tire size of 190/55. This seems to be a wierd size, I know that Shinko makes a 190/50 and a 200/55. What options do I have as far as sizes that will fit on the rim I have. Do I have to do the exact same size or will others work? Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want to still ride a decent amount on the street, the Shinko is the way to go. I ran the ultra soft shinko for a season and did probably 1500 street miles with out too bad of luck. 190/50 would be fine, it will lower the rear slightly but if you are setting up for drag racing you probably are not worried about whether it slows steering any. The 190 is a pretty flat profile tire with a good wide contact patch, I have not personally seen a 200 on a 10's rim to know whether or not it rounds out more. Ofcorse if you want traction, you want the Mickey though you will not be wanting to waste that tire on the street.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And a follow up question, should I get front and rear tires? Or leave my stock front and just do the rear? Also, whats the difference between the Shinko 003 Stealth, and the 003 Ultra Soft. The only reason I ask is that I found a package deal with a front and rear 003 Stealth for 170 and that seems like a really good price.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have never ran the front shinko, but I would not worry about changing it unless it is in need. The U-soft is basically what it says, just a softer compound of the stealth. You will get less miles out of it, but if you are doing any kind of stretch, it would be worth it. If you are running stock wheel base, the stealth would be fine. 170 for the pair would be a good price.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running a stock wheel base. I have had some traction problems in the past so I wanna make sure that I dont run into that again this year, because that was my main set back.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I am in the market for new tires to other than the sinko 003 what would be a good tire to use for the strip and the road. thank you

·
Registered
152 Posts
looks as though you are stretched, I haven't seen a lot of good street tires work for stretched bikes. Best balance would probably be from a race compound tire, but mileage would suck. I myself sprung for a second rear wheel, one has street tire the other has a Mickey.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I run Michelin Pilot Race 180/55 on my stock wheelbase bikes and most of the guys I race with do to with there stretched bikes. Costs a little more than shinko, but well worth the money. These tires can be run at more psi which means less rolling resistance than shinko and they also weigh less. I hook my bike with 45psi :wink:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
pilot races seem to be the new thing over the shinko's I will be putting a set on my 10 thats for sure if it doesnt work ill go back to the stinko's

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Would the Pilot Race be a good street tire as well? My biggest problem is I have no traction (Possible user error!!) I had my psi lowered quite a bit and was still having issues. Ruthless, is that the tire you have on your 06? Also, whats the difference in tire sizes. I still dont understand, and what size would be best for what I want to do with the tires? Also, with the Michelin, what compound is better, Medium, Medium-Soft, or soft? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Would the Pilot Race be a good street tire as well? My biggest problem is I have no traction (Possible user error!!) I had my psi lowered quite a bit and was still having issues. Ruthless, is that the tire you have on your 06? Also, whats the difference in tire sizes. I still dont understand, and what size would be best for what I want to do with the tires? Also, with the Michelin, what compound is better, Medium, Medium-Soft, or soft? Thanks!
Yes. I don't have the 06 anymore, but yes thats what was on it:mrgreen: If you go with the Mich, go with the 180/55 and I believe medium compound is what I got.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
how long did the pilot race last for you
3 days of racing at AMA and usually test once a month away from AMA. A tire last me about half season(8 races a yr.).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hey KP what are you gunna right this year?:thumbsup: And what do you think about allowing the big bore bikes into super sport

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Hey KP what are you gunna right this year?:thumbsup: And what do you think about allowing the big bore bikes into super sport
Gonna give my 1k another shot in SS and see what happens. The bike is already proven itself so we will see. The big bores are gonna be very strong. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts