Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recently ran over a nail and tried to get it fixed. None of the cycle shops would touch it because of a liability issue. My tire only had like 200 miles on it. Then I got to thinkin, would you want to go 150+ knowing that your rear tire has a plug in it!! Spend the money on a new tire, better than paying for hospital bills.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
ghost666 said:
If I didn't have the money for a new one then yes if I had the money for a new one then no.
:+1: However I recent bought a tire with the nail still in it off ebay and it had less than 300 miles on it. It was better than what I had (my old tire had threads showing - something I just noticed) and I only do street riding. If I was doing some hard riding I wouldn't. I pulled the nail out and plugged it and put it on my bike Sunday. Rode 200 miles no problems.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, my shinko 003 hasn't gotten here yet but ive put around 800 hard miles on a bald shinko advance 200/50 with a plug in it, this includes like 3 toped out (189) runs, yea, it's stupid to go that fast on a tire in it's condition but I wasn't going to let up and lose to the k6 I was running...

·
Registered
620 Posts
i plugged a tire on my old 600 and took it to the drag strip and burn out after burn out and pass after pass it held. i know it was stupid, but did have the cash for a new one and figured if it goes at least its at the track

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I would get it plugged/patched from the inside. 3k miles and a trackday and it held fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies,I believe the best thing to do is just replace it,a hospital bill would be a lot more costly,not to mention painful.:wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Plug the tire is okay as long as you don't fill the tire up with that no leak sh*t. What is the difference between a plug tires and a new one running about 170mph and ran over a nail? Same sh*t. One time, I was topping out at 189 and slowing down. Around 90mph the bike felt funny then I went slower and it was getting worse. I thought my front wheel bearing had broken and cause the bike to swag. I pull over to the shoulder and found out that I had a flat rear tire. Rode slowly about 1-2mph to the next gas station. Found out that they did not stock the plugs. I look around for a twig to plug it and air it up. I had no choice, it was around 2 a.m.. My house is about 5 miles away. Plugged that bitch up with a twig and rode it home, plugged it up with the real deal. After that went riding like nothing happen.:crackup:
:dontknow:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
perfect10 said:
Plug the tire is okay as long as you don't fill the tire up with that no leak sh*t. What is the difference between a plug tires and a new one running about 170mph and ran over a nail? Same sh*t. One time, I was topping out at 189 and slowing down. Around 90mph the bike felt funny then I went slower and it was getting worse. I thought my front wheel bearing had broken and cause the bike to swag. I pull over to the shoulder and found out that I had a flat rear tire. Rode slowly about 1-2mph to the next gas station. Found out that they did not stock the plugs. I look around for a twig to plug it and air it up. I had no choice, it was around 2 a.m.. My house is about 5 miles away. Plugged that bitch up with a twig and rode it home, plugged it up with the real deal. After that went riding like nothing happen.:crackup:
:dontknow:
:headshake :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Send it tom me. I will use up the rest of it.:mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts