Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys know a lot about tire wear. I'm not that aggresive of a rider yet going through the turns although I'm getting better. I'll hit some pretty good speeds in a straight line. When I brake, I usually use both brakes and have only locked the rear for an instance once or twice. I've only been to the track (dragstrip) once and did not heat up my tires at all. I was at a dealership the other day and had always thought that my tires were like new. That was until I saw another brand new bike. I still have the original Bridgestone 014 tires with about 3200 miles. By eyeballing it, the tread in the center of my rear tire is about 40-50% gone while the outsides look great. So my question is this......Is this normal wear on the rear or am I spinning or locking up the rear tire and not even noticing it. I would think I would notice that, though. Anyway, I could use some schooling. Thanks.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It is normal if you are ham fisted in gear 1-3...it will spin up and wear the center like you see on your rear tire. You may not even realize how much it spins

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
i normally need a new rear every 2k-2500 miles

·
Registered
214 Posts
I changed my stock tires out at 4K

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
well with 40-50% wear on a 3200 mile on an o.e. tire sounds right to me, maybe you can get close to 6500 miles outta that tire. compared to most other roadracing derived tires around here, which would be toasted already, or close to it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
thats normal wear the outsides of your tire dont touch the rode enless you lean the bike over and the center always wears out before the sides for most people that ride on the street. enless you got alot of twisties.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Suggestion: for normal riding on good pavement, use only the front brake ...

Won't affect tire wear but it's one less variable for your brain to think about. The front brake is capable of lifting the rear wheel off the ground. If you use both, the rear will lock prematurely, fooling you into thinking that there is less braking capability than there actually is if you use front only.

On my roadrace bike (FZR400) I use only the front brake.

Yes, I know that Nicky Hayden uses the rear brake to get the rear end sideways a bit. My name is not Nicky Hayden, and the average sport or track day rider is further ahead by not thinking about the rear brake.

(P.S. My previous street bike was a '94 ZX9R, purchased new, sold with 118,000 km on it and the ORIGINAL rear brake pads which looked like original thickness! I only ever used it on gravel / rain or with a passenger.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You know what's funny? I got 8200 miles on my Pirelli Diablo Stradas and it looks like I can squeeze another thousand. If you want a tire that would last get Stradas. Its good enough for a 70 miles a day commute and good enough for Palomar Mountain and SoCal canyons. Its like buying two tires for the price of one. You can probably squeeze 12,000 miles on your 6R with this tire.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your answers guys. I had no idea that the tires would wear that fast. With all that I've ran across on this forum, I'm guess ing that Pilot Powers would probably be my best bet. I'm not a racer, it just seems that they're what most people with some knowledge would want. Thanks again.
Chrispy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I actually squeezed close to 7K on some PP's from my old bike... of course I was being dumb and the threads were showing... luckily nothing happened and I did replace them... but you don't notice how sluggish a tire becomes over time till you get new ones.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
40thStreetBlack said:
I actually squeezed close to 7K on some PP's from my old bike... of course I was being dumb and the threads were showing... luckily nothing happened and I did replace them... but you don't notice how sluggish a tire becomes over time till you get new ones.
7k on PPs? So you basically just cruised up and down Bricktown for 7k miles in 6th gear. I was there in OKC 2 months ago. Its all straightaway out there bro. If you "ride" that bike you'll be lucky to break 5k on PPs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts