Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have 2 bikes to compare. I will break it down. The ZX10R is in question.

08 ZX10R

Ohlins R&T forks
Ohlins TTX shock
Stock geometry I believe

Tires
Pirrelli Supercorsa sps.

Suspension is sprung for my weight but not setup. Just how it came setup for me. Stiff rear shock fairly soft forks. Bike feels great holds a line and is very neutral.

05 ZX6R

fork bodies are stock with ohlins piston kit, revalve, sprung for my weight, etc...
Shock is stock as it was good for me.

The suspension is setup for me with proper sag. Stock geometry.

Tires
Michelin power pures.

My question is in regards to the supercorsa wear (chicken strips). The size difference is massive(front and rear) compared to my 6R. is this because of the suspension difference or do the supercorsas deform completely different. The 10R currently feels really good in the corners with tons of feedback and feels super planted. The 6R at its current state near the limit show feels like it wants to fall over into the corner.

10R
Front

Rear

6R
Front

Rear

This is from street riding

·
Registered
771 Posts
6r rear is a 180?

10r rear is 190?

Same size fronts?

is so theres our answer if you get to the edge of the front the rear will be past it's grip range :wink:

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the rear tire of the 10R will deform to properly to match the front tire?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nothing to do with tyre sizes...
Can still run a 190 rear to the edge with matching front.
Its the profile of the 2 different brand tyres...Michelins are a fatter profile tyre than the Pirrelli even though the numbers are the same.

Pirelli's have a very steep shoulder compared the the Michelins.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not comparing the 2 brands just front and rear comparisons for wear. I just seems like the 6R tires are work better together to compared to the 10R. But that's based on looks not feel. The 10R feels 10x better.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your comparing chicken strips and the reason is the tyre profiles...and the Pirellis SC2 grip much better than the Michelins hence the better feel.
I can still read 2CT on the Michelins so u got heaps before u push there limit...

As a test put the Pirelli 190 rear on the 6R and leave Michelin front i bet you will end up with zero chicken strips on the front of the Michelin.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your comparing chicken strips and the reason is the tyre profiles...and the Pirellis SC2 grip much better than the Michelins hence the better feel.
I can still read 2CT on the Michelins so u got heaps before u push there limit...

As a test put the Pirelli 190 rear on the 6R and leave Michelin front i bet you will end up with zero chicken strips on the front of the Michelin.
there supercorsa sp not sc2.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Pirellis are a different profile, very 'rounded', that's all. Also, the rears deform a lot more and will grip even when you appear run out of 'edge' ... whereas the front won't, so they need to be different.
Remember how I said in another thread that you should be careful of not having too low a pressure in the front? This is the reason.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Does the 6R have a 60 or 65 profile front ? this will get to the edge easier than a 70 profile. Also if the rear is 50 and not 55 (?)

I have about 10mm chicken strip on the front (RHS is a bit less than LHS) and 0 on the rear of my Dunlop Sportsmarts running 34F & 37R psi pressures on the street

I'm running stock suspension with the front re-sprung to 0.9N. I also have it set up for better balance front and rear.

I think later corner entry will tend to wear the fronts more to the edge. later entry and quick turn in, not something I always do myself :headshake

·
Registered
914 Posts
Track orientated tyres are designed for track use in mind.

At the track you need more side grip over centre stability so the manufactures change the profile of the track orientated tyres to be rounder (higher in the middle).

These tyres are designed to always find the edge of the rear before the front, thankfully.

There are wider options available again to give more side grip, I run a 200/60 rear and I have seen guys running 125/75 fronts in the higher classes not that I do.

So whomever said profile is right on the money.

PS: Renais, try running less pressure in your rear, rule of thumb is less in the rear compared to the front.

·
Registered
783 Posts
PS: Renais, try running less pressure in your rear, rule of thumb is less in the rear compared to the front.
I would run 30F/28R at the track, but haven't ever on the road

The guy who changed out my fork springs and set up the suspension recommended 34F/36R in summer (with Sportsmarts) and 35F/38R in winter

seems to work ok for grip and wear so far

are you recommending lower pressure in the rear for the road or just the track ?

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would run 30F/28R at the track, but haven't ever on the road

The recommended track pressure for your rear tyre is 21-24psi because your tyre is an N-Tech technology equipt hoop. (harder carcuss)

The guy who changed out my fork springs and set up the suspension recommended 34F/36R in summer (with Sportsmarts) and 35F/38R in winter.

The rear is your drive tyre and is under more load than your front especially on the road as you can't push your front anywhere near as hard as you could on the track. To me at no time should your rear be higher than your front.

seems to work ok for grip and wear so far.

If your happy stick with it I guess up to you, I reckon your missing out on grip you've paid for though.

Are you recommending lower pressure in the rear for the road or just the track ?
Both, hope that helps mate.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Both, hope that helps mate.:thumbsup:
Wow :eek:

I presume that is the recommendation of the Dunlop Tyre rep ?

Can you advise me of what pressures I should be running F & R, road and track?

I'll deffo give them a try :thumbsup:

Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Wow :eek:

I presume that is the recommendation of the Dunlop Tyre rep ?

I have spoken to my Dunlop rep previosly yes (good mate of mine) but I found out about the pressures initially from reviews of the product from its launch as I was interested in the swicth to N-tech as I was running Dunlops at the time. You'll find it for yourself easy enough if you search Sportsmart review in google and its probably not a bad idea to look it up for your own peace of mind. :ayyy:

Can you advise me of what pressures I should be running F & R, road and track?

For various reasons no... but I can tell you what I'd run :wink:

For track I'd run 30-33F and 21-24R

For road I'd run 30-34F and 29-33R

I would change my pressures within those psi ranges depending on weather and pace intended but I always stay lower in the rear.

I'll deffo give them a try :thumbsup:

Thanks
I'll be interested to see how you go bud, you may be at the higher end of that psi range due to the cold weather you do encounter over there but suss it and let me know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks, thats really helpful :thumbsup:

I set it to 33/33 (cold) today and it feels good. pressures when hot were 36/36

I'll be interested to see how it affects wear patterns. Hopefully more on the sides and less in the centre :smile:

PS, temperatures here are still low for the time of year, I think only just into double figures, but these Sportsmarts are nice tyres :cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Im running pirelli supercorsa sc2 on the track with 24 rear and 31 front.. and here is the result after 1 day of track.. (was new the morning..)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Im running pirelli supercorsa sc2 on the track with 24 rear and 31 front.. and here is the result after 1 day of track.. (was new the morning..)
I'm no expert, but that tyre looks suspiciously like it has suffered a degree of (hot) tearing due to under inflation :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts