Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's opinions on tire warmers? Necessary, helpful, useless...
Running Q3+'s on the track. Can't complain about these tires out the box but I figured I'd get some references.

·
Registered
460 Posts
What's everyone's opinions on tire warmers? Necessary, helpful, useless...
Running Q3+'s on the track. Can't complain about these tires out the box but I figured I'd get some references.
I used to run the Q3+ on tracks with my 600 and no issues whatsoever without warmers. In my opinion warmers are useless with DOT tires for track days. One warmup/sighting lap won't kill you getting tire up to temp. The Q3's especially heat up quick as well. I would say save the money on warmer's unless running slicks or your going right into a race.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Last weekend I test D212 GP Pro 4 front and D212 GP Racer E rear. I don't have warmers, after 1st lap grip is ok, after 2nd drag the foot peg.
But this was track day. If is a race perhaps U must use warmers.

·
Registered
771 Posts
you will actually over heat the tire if you run a full 20 minute session using warmers on a q3.

I run slicks and warmers are a huge pain in the ass but it makes them last longer.

Street tire operating temps are low setting on most warmers so your at operating temp when you go out and the just get over heated and greasy every lap you run which decrease tire life.

Reactions: Neonmarine

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
465 Posts
No need for warmers. Just check hot pressures (fresh off the track) 2-3 times throughout the day and rock on.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Can you use warmers on Q3/Q3+/Q4? Yes. Do you need them? Not necessarily.

Best case scenario you'll get some more confidence with less warmup laps. And you shouldn't overheat your Q3+s if you're pressures are correct.

Info straight from Dunlop. In the description they give you warmer psi and cold psi to start from.

Dunlop Racing » Q3+

Also, Dunlop recommends warmers for all tires be set at 158F for 45 to 60 min

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
No need for warmers. Just check hot pressures (fresh off the track) 2-3 times throughout the day and rock on.
You have to be EXTREMELY careful with this process because it can be hard to control. The amount of time it takes you to come off the track, pit, and check pressures varies so widely from session to session its hard to get an accurate measurement. Thats why so many manufactures recommend off the warmer psi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
31 psi front, 30 psi rear.....Q-3's are fine after 2 warm up laps...
I usually only took it easy for 1 lap and never had an issue. 2 laps is probably much safer but I live in Texas so usually I am coming into the pits after the 4th lap :biggrin:

OP - Focus on hard acceleration and braking, without having to lean it & your street tires will heat up pretty quick.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
465 Posts
You have to be EXTREMELY careful with this process because it can be hard to control. The amount of time it takes you to come off the track, pit, and check pressures varies so widely from session to session its hard to get an accurate measurement. Thats why so many manufactures recommend off the warmer psi.
Yes...but no warmers means no "hot off the warmers" psi check. Also, Q3's are a street tire that people ride on the track...they were never fully intended to be a legit, balls out track tire so Dunlop has minimual warmer instructions.

OP:
Just set the psi to the recommended pressures (the Dunlop reps are a good source for the actual day you're riding) and then check them immediately after rolling off the track. I.e. after the checkered flag run 70% speed back the pit entrance and don't BS with the coach, go straight to your pit. Pull off the gloves and helmet, then check the psi.

If you want stupid levels of OCD, have a buddy waiting for you in hot pit and he'll check them FRESH off the track. This probably the best way for the average guy to get a decent set of numbers to work with. I've done both and haven't ruined a set of tires yet. :helmet:

Reactions: wheelz96

·
Registered
460 Posts
As a non slick track day rider one thing I can safely say is you will enjoy the day a hell of a lot more when not messing around with warmers! Your day will be busy enough at first track day and tire warmers is just another issue that isn't necessary at this point. Your Q3s with proper PSI will still be competitive with upper Intermediate riders if you are.

What track are you going too?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes...but no warmers means no "hot off the warmers" psi check. Also, Q3's are a street tire that people ride on the track...they were never fully intended to be a legit, balls out track tire so Dunlop has minimual warmer instructions.
First off awesome that you actually CHECK pressures! Most people that come to the track barely know what a tire gauge is. You clearly have a process that works for you, and thats great. But one should be careful when recommending a process that can lead down a brutal path of frustration to others. It sounds like you know what to do when things go south but do others based off a recommendation? I cant tell you how many riders have come to us with "some guy said I should do this or that" and now cant figure out why they're shredding tires because they dont have the whole story.

While the Q3 is not a track only tire, it is designed to pull some pretty impressive times on track. Taylor Knapp ran top 10 during the Dunlop test earlier this year on street tires. So yeah, you can run balls out on them if you really wanted to.

Where The Rubber Meets The Road: Who Was That ?Dunlop Test Bike? Rider? ? MotoAmerica

http://www.motoamericaregistration.com/Results/2018/Barbertest/18_1_BARBER_STK_P7_res.pdf

Also check one of my other posts, it has a link to Dunlop Q3 with warmer info and psi.

:beer2:

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
465 Posts
Agreed, the Q3 is an awesome tire, I've been passed by dudes (like a 600 vs liter bike) on that rubber.

My only point for clarifying on the warmers thing, was that the conversation was based around not having them to start with or the recommendation of many who said do not use warmers on Q3's. Besides the incorrect use of warmer by the same people with the "a guy on the internet said..." excuse, will still lead to trouble. Nothing you can do about that, except try to educate them. I'm on board with the "hot of the warmers" method. Now that I use slicks 100% of time, that's the only way to go.

We're cool, resume normal broadcast!

Reactions: evallarta1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts