Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a set of tire warmers and wanted to know if you guys had any reccomendations. I have looked up a few different ones so im basically just looking to get feedback from people who have the different brands. Im between the Chicken Hawk Pole Positions, the PD's and the Bandit Pro Line.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know a lot of guys are fond of the Chicken hawks, built pretty well and last a long time. Easy on/off.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have never used any tire warmers but I will get to use a set of Chicken Hawks this Labor Day at a track day. I seem to remember that RoadRacing World Magazine did a track test of tire warmers a year or so ago and they thought the Chicken Hawks were the best. The racks of tires at the AMA Superbike races with Chicken Hawks must mean something. I used a temp gun on several set of tires that were heated by another, cheaper brand of tire warmer at a recent track day and I was pretty disappointed with the wide variety of temps that came from supposedly identical tire warmers. Not only was there a big difference in temps from one tire warmer to another but there was a big variation from one side of the same tire warmer to the other side.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the Bandit Pro Team tire warmers. I will be using them for the first time at our track day on labor day. They are supposed to be really good and are the same ones that the Honda Moto GP teams use. Ill let you guys know how they work.

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
zeta xray said:
I have never used any tire warmers but I will get to use a set of Chicken Hawks this Labor Day at a track day. I seem to remember that RoadRacing World Magazine did a track test of tire warmers a year or so ago and they thought the Chicken Hawks were the best. The racks of tires at the AMA Superbike races with Chicken Hawks must mean something. I used a temp gun on several set of tires that were heated by another, cheaper brand of tire warmer at a recent track day and I was pretty disappointed with the wide variety of temps that came from supposedly identical tire warmers. Not only was there a big difference in temps from one tire warmer to another but there was a big variation from one side of the same tire warmer to the other side.
yeah, I realize that Chicken hawks perform better than some less expensive brands, but what I meant to say was that for someone who is buying tire warmers for the first time (and most likely doesn't even need them), one brand should work just about the same as another....

·
Registered
114 Posts
We use Chicken Hawks, Tire Bandits and TyrSox. For ease of installation/removal, nothing beats the Hawks. The Bandits are not too hard to install/remove either, but the 2 part TyrSox are a hassle. All three seem to warm the tires well and none of them will cook a tire. The Bandits seem to be about 10 degrees warmer (170) than than the Hawks (160) and 20 degrees warmer than the TyrSox (150). Bandits also seem to warm up fastest, closely followed by the Hawks and the TyrSox are a distant third. As far as insulating the tire and holding the temps when unplugged, again, the Hawks and the Bandits are close with the TyrSox id a distant third.

Having said all that, one the "club level" (CMRA), about 60% to 70% of the teams use Hawks with the remaining using Bandits with a small sprinkling of TyrSoxs here and there. For the occasional track day riders, when properly used, all three would work just fine. Keep in mind that any tire warmer will heat up a tire, but none of them make a tire "race ready" before you even hit the track. More like 80%. So always do a lap or two before going WFO.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Another tip: don't put a warmer on a tire, then set the tire on the ground. The weight of the wheel/tire (or if mounted, the weight of the bike) on one concentrated piece of the tire will cook a hole in the warmer. [smilie=b:

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chuck, i already bought the Bandit's from you guys. You are our supplier! We are also in the Valley and are a proud Graves Dealer. I was actually there this morning getting a set of V-Stacks for an 03 R1. I was on the Blue ZX-10.

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's actually the San Fernando Valley, not too far from Simi. Do you ever come down to the L.A. area?

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Usually only for work. I'll be down in Ventura next week or the week after sometime. I make it down to Sluttonwillow for track days occasionally. Looking to hit up the Steets one of these days. I'll try and look you guys up the next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are running a streets of willow day in October, you should try to make it out. The date is October 11th, its a Monday, Columbus Day. Let me know if you can make it out, we'll get you signed up. Also one of the days that you come down to ventura, you should try to make it out to the shop, we're about half hour south of ventura.

later...Ara-mri

1 - 15 of 15 Posts