Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Still learning about tires on bikes and would like to hear some of your stories, opinions, links etc.

My first and only set so far have been the Dunlop Q3's that my bike guy recommended, and I guess they are pretty good considering I've never spun the rear under hard acceleration and it seems like I can lean the bike over more and more. My only problem with them is after 4500km they are done in the centre with 90-95% left one sides but I guess this is normal for such a soft tire? Even 10k would be nice out of a rear but is that even possible with bike tires?

Some info:
05 zx10 with all the normal mods (stock gearing)
280lb rider
Roads here are straight and long
Accelerate pretty hard most days
36/42 F/R

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is quite acceptable tyre life fro a sport tyre and pretty normal but you can use them up in way less. The only way you are ever going to see 10000km is with something like a Pilot Road 4 and even then you would have to be nice to it to make it last.

The centres will wear out first on the street, that's just how it is. Most of the sport tyres have similar life with the super soft ones half that, eg, supercorsas. There is a significant mental component to tyres too but these days they are all pretty good so just buy a reputable brand you trust of the type your after (Sport, touring , hypersport etc) and enjoy the bike. Just remember if you want to play you got pay, the higher the performance of the tyre the less it lasts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Doppler, I'll probably stick with the Q3 then as I've had zero problems with it. After the front is done maybe I'll switch to some Michelin's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I currently have Pp3 Michelin front with a pilot road 4 rear that is a sport touring tire. This is a good combo and I should see 7000 to 8000 miles out of them. I am a HUGE Michelin man for street. I run pirellis at the track though.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Power 3's may be ok for you with straights. I saw and felt the Angles and my first thought was hard but the nice shop guy was saying is was for sportbikes and that he was gonna try that set on his cbr. Nope, a tour tire and way harder than power 3's as I've had a few of the latter. Mileage no problem on Angels, for sure.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power, the original one. Its a good tire and last longer than the Q3s. I had a set of Q3s on my Gen 1. Great tire, really sticky and all. Life was about 1/2-2/3 of the Pilot Power. I could pull around 9k miles from the front and around 7k miles from the rear. Big ways to do it, dont accelerate hard everywhere. That includes braking. The more you ask the tire to do, i.e. grip the road, the faster it will wear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great info! Seems like the PP3 will be a good sticky tire with more life then the Q3. Can't believe you guys are getting 7k miles and I got 4500km. Wow.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Great info! Seems like the PP3 will be a good sticky tire with more life then the Q3. Can't believe you guys are getting 7k miles and I got 4500km. Wow.
I did get 3k miles on a couple rear power 3's, however the tire is hard meaning it spins a ton. My mileage on all corsas and the V's, q3's, q2's, power and power cts, reg battleaxs, and whatever else that I can't remember right now, between 1600 and 2,000 miles and I'm talking down the to steel or fabric, meaning FAR past the wear bars. The only soft rear that I've found that will last around 3k miles is the Metzeler rr and I have that front but not tried it yet. My fronts last about 4k miles, however all but the bridge r10 wear into a major V shape which makes tight twists to require precise throttle, meaning the rear with tiny throttle keeps stands the bike properly for the exit target. Increased front V increases lean angel slightly too much but the throttle makes the correction, as always. The r10 wears down rounded right to the steel on the sides.

No one that I know in my area will get different miles than my bike as I'm sure that everyone else is more skilled then me. But idk as I never see anyone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@scout
By the sounds of it your running the bike pretty hard, lol. The rear slipping/spinning is what worries as I'm still pretty new in the saddle. Are you spinning in a straight or in corners? What is your corner speed on a posted 80kph/50mph sweeping corner? On a good surface I'm around the 150kph mark, I could deff go faster but I haven't set the bike up for my weight and I don't have the experience to recover from a mistake just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Scout has a tight loop that he runs all the time and puts more miles on a bike in a year, than most of us do in 5. He gets after it pretty hard.

The rear spinning in a corner on a bike like this is going to happen if you get ham fisted on the throttle. Thats basically a certainty, with the power on tap you can overwhelm probably any tire if you ask it for lean angle and to deal with max power. Depending on how youre riding it in a straight line, you can get the rear to spin too. Ive spun a Q3 at the drag strip, a prepped surface that was meant to provide high levels of traction. You can make the back end spin. Just get a good supersport tire and do what it sounds like youre doing already, not being highly aggressive on the street and pretending its the race track.

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh ok so I doubt I'll have spinning problems then. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
If youre easy on the throttle, ride constant throttle through thr corners and dont try to power out of a corner like youre chasing a lap time, youre probably going to be fine. Its when you get aggressive that you start to find the limits of tire and road grip. And on the street, its no constant. Road conditions change, your tire temperature will affect the grip level, how far youre leaned over and how much throttle. There are plenty of other factors that affect it. Just be smart and use your head on the street.

Reactions: scout

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
@scout
By the sounds of it your running the bike pretty hard, lol. The rear slipping/spinning is what worries as I'm still pretty new in the saddle. Are you spinning in a straight or in corners? What is your corner speed on a posted 80kph/50mph sweeping corner? On a good surface I'm around the 150kph mark, I could deff go faster but I haven't set the bike up for my weight and I don't have the experience to recover from a mistake just yet.

What OP said. A very rough and tight 110 miles with 90 more miles of slab of mostly commuter traffic and they are excellent around bikes but don't ride around them like the pace with no one around. I think the freeway miles help the tires last longer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts