Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys
I'd like to get some advice on tire size as I need to buy a set asap for a roadworthy inspection.

I just got my bike 2005 1st gen, but no manual came with it. Currently it has a 120/70 front & a 190/50 rear - Is this factory spec?

Also if these sizes are factory spec is there any alternate sizes/profile height that any members recommend that might improve the handling etc
thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the info guys, now I know where I'm at.

I'm sure I read a post here that going to a rear 190/55 will improve handling & make the bike turn in quicker or is this not recommended?

also I'm going for a michelin pilot power 2ct on the rear & the softer pilot pure on the front.

good or bad choice??

·
Registered
541 Posts
ok thanks for the info guys, now I know where I'm at.

I'm sure I read a post here that going to a rear 190/55 will improve handling & make the bike turn in quicker or is this not recommended?

also I'm going for a michelin pilot power 2ct on the rear & the softer pilot pure on the front.

good or bad choice??
Switch to 190/55 and raise the rear 3 or 4mm, then reset your sag front and rear, that will help your handling.
Can't speak to your mixed tire idea, I know some guys run a 2ct front and a Pilot Road rear to gain some mileage. I wouldn't do it because of the different profiles of the tires but that's just me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch to 190/55 and raise the rear 3 or 4mm, then reset your sag front and rear, that will help your handling.
I had the tires fitted today & went with the 190/55. Now, how do I raise the rear & how do I work out if or not the rear has already been raised??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hijack, OP

When I first joined this forum, I read an old thread about handling. I can't find it now, but would swear that someone mentioned putting a 180/55 on the rear of a zx10.

Anybody ever hear of such? I know many 600-900cc bikes run a 180 series rear tire, and they handle magnificently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hijack, OP

When I first joined this forum, I read an old thread about handling. I can't find it now, but would swear that someone mentioned putting a 180/55 on the rear of a zx10.

Anybody ever hear of such? I know many 600-900cc bikes run a 180 series rear tire, and they handle magnificently.

Yeah I had heard the 180 was more aggressive on lean angles, but I like the 190 better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to hijack, OP

A 180/55 has a rounder profile than a 190/50. It will turn in quicker and generally be a better choice for aggresive riding. A 190/50 is a better "street" tire. It'll be more stable and the flat spot will be less noticable for the daily drivers out there. Somebody had a pretty good article on it.

Edit: Found the article

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0302_rear_motorcycle_tire/index.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts