Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for new tires and I am unsure what size to get.

What are the pros vs cons of going with a 190/55 tire vs a 50 tire?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Basically you'll get more grip leaning over as there will be more more rubber touching the ground, plus you'll turn in faster because of the tire profile being more aggressive. You'll also lose a tiny bit of acceleration and gain a bit of top speed because of wheel diameter being larger.

For me its a bit like having the handling of a 180 tire with the 190 contact patch = win-win.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Basically you'll get more grip leaning over as there will be more more rubber touching the ground, plus you'll turn in faster because of the tire profile being more aggressive. You'll also lose a tiny bit of acceleration and gain a bit of top speed because of wheel diameter being larger.

For me its a bit like having the handling of a 180 tire with the 190 contact patch = win-win.
:iamwithst:+1:

BD

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Probably can't go wrong either way. Some swear by the 55 profile and some swear by the 50 profile. From what I've heard unless you're doing some mad crazy riding the 55 is not needed.

Do a search on it though and it should yield plenty of results with all kinds of varying opinions.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I ride DC IIIs and have a 190/50 rear...Love it...More neutral turning than the Qualifier sotckers...I like it a lot and will not go to 190/ 55 on this bike. The tire designs also effect this as the DC IIIs are not so triangular in shape compared to PP or 2CTs. It is more rounded. Either way, you should try both so you can at least say you did and know for sure how each handles.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Also, changing profile is going to change you speedo #s. Ofcourse the rideheight will be different. If ya don't need a different profile for a specific purpose, why not keep the stock size?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I ride DC IIIs and have a 190/50 rear...Love it...More neutral turning than the Qualifier sotckers...I like it a lot and will not go to 190/ 55 on this bike. The tire designs also effect this as the DC IIIs are not so triangular in shape compared to PP or 2CTs. It is more rounded. Either way, you should try both so you can at least say you did and know for sure how each handles.
Yeah Pirelli uses a different profile than the others which makes a difference...this is as well what I'm using and love it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I would say track riding I'd go with the 55 but for general street riding a 50 will be just as good.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
55 is a win win, go with that, Shit I run a 190/60 on my 04 and am realy loving it, it transitions very smoothly, side to side and has tons of grip.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Also, changing profile is going to change you speedo #s. Ofcourse the rideheight will be different. If ya don't need a different profile for a specific purpose, why not keep the stock size?

The turn in for the stockers are exaggeratedbecause of the profile and design IMO...Not neutral. Plus I have ridden on Corsa IIIs since 2006 and before that, Corsas and I have liked the tire design...Trying different tires to suit your needs a good thing.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I just changed out my stock qualifiers the other day for corsa3s, 190/55 and it handles like a different bike. I always heard the qualifiers were crap but I didnt know it was going to be that much of a difference.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
If you're into the occasional trackday or canyon run I'd stick with the 55 profile. If you're strictly a commuter or only like going fast in a straight line, the 50 profile will be just as good for you.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I just changed out my stock qualifiers the other day for corsa3s, 190/55 and it handles like a different bike. I always heard the qualifiers were crap but I didnt know it was going to be that much of a difference.
Tires make a huge difference for me. I could not imagine riding anything else than Corsa IIIs.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
If you're into the occasional trackday or canyon run I'd stick with the 55 profile. If you're strictly a commuter or only like going fast in a straight line, the 50 profile will be just as good for you.
I do not think a 50 was made for straight lines. :heyyou:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated. I decided to just stick with the 50 and forgo the 55.
I got a set of DC3's for $270 shipped to my door. (good.. bad.. I dunno)

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated. I decided to just stick with the 50 and forgo the 55.

Great price...You will love the 190/ 50...It feels really nice on turns (even aggressive ones). I was in the same position as you when I knew I had to get rid of the stockers...Then I got the DC IIIs 190/50 and I knew there was no going back.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
im very anal when it comes to tire sizing, esp on a 1000cc. im will to try the 190/60 just cause its a taller tire, has more arch and hence improved contact patch in a corner. Too bad there really is no where on the regular streets where you can get down that low.

im currently running the 190/55 supercorsas SC2 on street

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Man, up here those come mounted on bike for 275.00. And that's ballanced too. I think the 55's are 315.00

I'm also running the SuperCorsa Pros 190/55. Payed 315.00 mounted and ballanced off bike last season.
Thinking next month I'll switch to the new N-Tec. Been hearing they last longer and grip as good. Still have not found out about there pricing yet though.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Man, up here those come mounted on bike for 275.00. And that's ballanced too. I think the 55's are 315.00

I'm also running the SuperCorsa Pros 190/55. Payed 315.00 mounted and ballanced off bike last season.
Thinking next month I'll switch to the new N-Tec. Been hearing they last longer and grip as good. Still have not found out about there pricing yet though.

Wow that is cheap...Down here it $280 + $60 to get on the bike and ride away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts