Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 ZX-10R
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As other 06 owners, I'm having trouble finding a replacement 190/55 rear tire.(At least one that's not on back-order for a month) I might just get a 190/50, but I thought that would change the overall diameter of the tire. My dealer said motorcycle tires are different than car tires, in that the side profile dosen't affect the diameter, merely the sidewall height itself. I just want to double check that this is true so my geometry of the bike and suspension isn't thrown out of whack by throwing on a 190/50 tire. Thanks.:wink:

Dave

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Yes a 190/50 will change the geometry from stock! how much remains to be seen or experienced for the 06 owners. Its enough of a change you'll notice while riding and perhaps you'll like it but then maybe not. I do recall a couple of mag testers commenting a 190/50 improved the feel of the 06 but its all relative to each of us so...........

BD

·
Registered
2020 ZX-10R
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BD. :ayyy:

Fuking evil dealer's trying to put the hocus-pocus(sp?) on my mind about tires! :shady:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
dwill said:
Thanks BD. :ayyy:

Fuking evil dealer's trying to put the hocus-pocus(sp?) on my mind about tires! :shady:
yea them dirty rat bastids will do that if ya let um.

BD

·
Registered
2020 ZX-10R
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oneradten said:
new tires on 06 already :dontknow:
Was this a question or a statement? Either way, I have 2600 miles on the tires, all street, and the rear is a hair away from the tread wear indicaters. Decent mileage for a liter bike rear tire, I think. No complaints for the grip or feel of the qualifiers on the street either.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
He probably rides the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yep, the higher the sidewall number the taller a tire it will be. 190-60 is much taller than a 190-50, about a inch I think, this makes a huge difference on handling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After getting that dang nail in mine at 300 miles I put on Dunlop Qualifier 190/50ZR17 to replace the 55ZR17 since as you said, the stock size is hard to come up with, my dealer told me he could get one from another dealer for 295.00!!WTF!! I don't think so, throw me on the 50ZR17 please, and I can't tell a bit of difference in handling, but then again I'm not burning up the track either.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I was told that all oem 190/55-17's were to be bought through Kawasaki. The non oems were 180/55's or the 190/50's for the Q's. The sportmax gp's had the 190/60's. What a suspension nightmare.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The 190/55 oughta be about 3/8" taller than the 190/50. You can adjust for it by raising the rear ride height or lowering the front about that much.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
right on sw, guess I will play the Dunlop game again. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2020 ZX-10R
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, I emailed michelin about when they'd release pilot powers or sports in a 190/55 and all they said was " This size tyre will be available but no dates have been fixed."
I also emailed Dunlop for more info on the Qualifier future availability without going through kawasaki, but they responded with:
"I will be out of the office starting 04/17/2006 and will not return until 04/24/2006.
While out, I will not have an opportunity to respond to your inquiries. I will attempt to respond as soon as possible upon my return. Please allow 2
- 3 weeks response time. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
So, in other words... I got nothing. Anyone know the stock Dunlop Qualifiers overall diameter? It's not listed on dunlops website and the dude's on vacation who should be answering it.:beer:

·
Registered
114 Posts
wouldn't a 180/55 provide similar handling characteristics as the 190/55? i would think the print on the asphalt would be a little smaller...but for the most part it would be more similar than a 190/50? i ran 180/55's on my RC for 3 years and they were the bomb compared to a 190/50.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts