Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Pilot powers, but i seem to run a little backwards from everyone else. I run 35 rear 40 front. So i now had to take a look at my service manuals and it appears i have been running backwards pressures in my bikes for some years lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can run them with a lower pressure for a track, but I wouldn't advise it for street use even if you are nailing the mountain curves dragging knees. Lower Pressure and more contact surface comes with a price!!! Lower Pressure purposefully causes the carcass to flex more, thereby giving you more contact surface. So when you come outta the twisties headed for the casa, most of your (as well as the rest of us) riding is done vertically on the highway or freeways. Remember that flexing the carcass does? Well it also does it while vertical and will heat your tires up tremendously and will cook the life right out of them, turning them from sticky to straight up greasy!!! TRUST ME!! Also, the lower pressure settings will make your bike feel more unstable in straightline transits and the feel itself is different. Like when you go to turn into a curve, it feels slower to lean in a sense. So make sure you know the risks, before you change your pressures. And don't forget that the outside ambient temps and road temps play a vital role as well. But most of that gets technical in the world of racing where my experience is limited. But my pressures still allow me to reach great lean angles enough to drag my knees and depending on which cloverleaf entrance ramp I use, I can generally feel the grass hit my elbows if its not been cut in say the last week...
However, below is my set up with Michelin Pilot Powers:
Track: 33F/31R
Street: 35F/39R

·
Registered
118 Posts
i'm running the dunlop 211gp racers with 5 advanced/intermediate trackdays on them, at the track i run 29-31 front/19-21 rear. For the street its different i run 31-32 front and 35-36 rear, still able to get my knee down in corners.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Pilot powers, but i seem to run a little backwards from everyone else. I run 35 rear 40 front. So i now had to take a look at my service manuals and it appears i have been running backwards pressures in my bikes for some years lol.
This is interesting. I've always run 32f 36r, but have not been happy with my turn in so I talked to some of the techs at dealership i work for and they, for the most part, said run more pressure in front than rear. So I did 36f 35r and thought it made a nice difference. Are you and I crazy here?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm quite new to this bike so I follow the manual -

Stock BT16's -
Rear 42
Front 36
That seems a little high to me - I go 33 front, 36 rear, on my BT16s. Anything higher seems hard, and less seems mushy (although it might grip better). What mileage to you get? I get close to 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That seems a little high to me - I go 33 front, 36 rear, on my BT16s. Anything higher seems hard, and less seems mushy (although it might grip better). What mileage to you get? I get close to 4,000 miles.
Haven't had the bike long enough to answer your mileage question (only 1 month). I'm not saying that you or anyone else is wrong, just that this is my first 'real' bike and I don't know enough to start messing with tire pressures. My experience is limited to a 2004 Vulcan 500 (4 yrs, 8000 miles) and a 2006 Ninja 500 (2 yrs, 2600 miles). So, that's why I am going with what the owner's manual says. Also, I'm scared of experiencing a 'tank-slapper'. As I understand it, keeping proper pressure will help to minimize this risk.

Just double checked it because you had me second guessing. Yep, it is 36 front and 42 rear - right out of the owner's manual.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Track folk go with the low 30s - like 32/34 - has better hold of the road. I've been through several sets and feel that 32/34 is a bit to soft, and also tried 34/38 which feels too hard and slips easier on gravel/grease on the corners. So found if I split the difference (33/36) it's just right.

·
Registered
443 Posts
so nobody runs more pressure in the front than rear? All the fast guys around here all run about 1lb more in the front than rear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On my third 10r. always run 2ct's at 42r 36f. Never had any grip issues between upright and full lean.

Also quite enjoy riding the same pace as mates on lower pressures and getting 1000 miles more from a rear.

Oh, should say that i've done just under 60,000 miles on 2ct's now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts