1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should the tire pressure in each tire be on a stock zx10r for:

1. One rider about 160lb
2. Two riders about 160lb rider + 110lb passenger

Does one calculate pressure adjustment for long rides vs. short rides?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Using BT-016s I use 32 front 37 rear all the time everywhere on the street.

If I go to the track its moderately less depending on conditions.

I never go two up so I have no idea there...

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Using BT-016s I use 32 front 37 rear all the time everywhere on the street.

If I go to the track its moderately less depending on conditions.

I never go two up so I have no idea there...
:+2: I run a mix from 29/34 combos up to 34/42 just depending on my setup or use...Depends a lot on street or track and conditions:thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You mean you ADD a couple of lbs when it is cooler and take off a couple of lbs when it is hotter.
No i let a couple pounds out when it is cooler so the tires are a little softer on the cold road. I also let a couple pounds out when it is extremely hot because the heat will expend the air inside the tires to a higher pressure than i want to run them making them too hard and the bike slides around.

·
Registered
306 Posts
absolutely depends on the tires
I use pures, 32f/29r seems really good

I normally run 32 in the front and from 29-34 in the rear.

if you are using the stock tires then 32-33f and 34-36r should work well

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm gonna go against the popular opinion here and say 42r/36f. I run those pressures on 2ct's whether riding one up or with the occasional pillion. 11 years of (fast!?!) road riding and knee down fun with zero grip or stability problems.

Everybody will say something different. You could start at the recommended pressures from cold, ride with those. Then before the next ride try dropping a few psi, ride with those and see how you go. Trail and error is the only way to go sometimes.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm running 33 front and rear on my 6r with mich pures. It seems to work quite well. I don't think there is a perfect number.
Be careful how low you run the pures. Michelin themselves have released a statement over here saying they only recommend running stock pressures on road and track down to the tyre pressure being an integeral part in the tyres overall strength. This is down to the materials removed during production that makes the tyre so much lighter. Not being a tyre pressure guru, just saying what i've read.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Contact the manufacturer and find out at what PSI when the tire is hot you would be getting the most contact patch. Then play with the air and see with your riding style and conditions where you would need to set your cold PSI to get the optimal hot PSI.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
You guys are looking at tire PSI all wrong! all PSI does is set heat! 42psi any any tire is not going to get the tire hot ever! your going to have a LONG lasting tire, with grip like a hockey puck! Now I'm not a mathematical genius but tires are cheeper then plastics!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Be careful how low you run the pures. Michelin themselves have released a statement over here saying they only recommend running stock pressures on road and track down to the tyre pressure being an integeral part in the tyres overall strength. This is down to the materials removed during production that makes the tyre so much lighter. Not being a tyre pressure guru, just saying what i've read.
:+1: I've read this as well, but for me 36f/r street/cold works best for me. This leaves room for the rise to 40/42 which in the manufacturer's specs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts