Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the threads on tire pressures I decided to go out to some twisties and try to find the best psi. I have an 04 with the stock tires still, only have a few thousand miles on the bike. I was running 35 in the front and 40 in the rear. I read most seem to like around 30 in the front and rear. I dropped the pressure, hopping to get the junk stockers to stick alittle better and it seems like the bike handles worse. I have 30 in the front and 35 in the back. My question is should the bike feel alittle bit loose? Is it somthing you get used to or should i just increase the pressure alittle?:dontknow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 05 with 12000 miles on have tried pp,conti attacks,and the standard dunlops and in here in the uk with the crap temerature i allways stick to about 36f 42r anything else it just feels terible

·
Registered
198 Posts
over the weekend my bike felt a little funny, after letting it sit for a few hours i check the tire pressure and it was about, 30f, 36r. it felt horrible.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
PRIMO said:
over the weekend my bike felt a little funny, after letting it sit for a few hours i check the tire pressure and it was about, 30f, 36r. it felt horrible.
30 cold PSI is too low for street riding and you found this out by lowering it from 35 so hitt he middle somewhere(mmmm 33 perhaps) and leave the rear at 34-35 cold PSI. if on a spirited ride through some twisties you were to check warm/hot PSI it stands to gain approx 15-20% so use this as a guide.

BD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Daddy said:
30 cold PSI is too low for street riding and you found this out by lowering it from 35 so hitt he middle somewhere(mmmm 33 perhaps) and leave the rear at 34-35 cold PSI. if on a spirited ride through some twisties you were to check warm/hot PSI it stands to gain approx 15-20% so use this as a guide.

BD
So if im on a spirited ride should i drop the pressure to compensate for the 15-20% gain? Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
not during the ride but before leaving home. for sake of discussion lets say you set them @ 30 cold, when warm/hot from riding ideally you'd want them @ 36 (which =20% gain) but lets face it not many people stop to check each time so once you've become aquainted with a certain brand tire you'll know when they feel right.

BD

·
Registered
21 Posts
tire pressure

run my 05 at 32f - 36r on stock tires. tried to run at the factory settings and i was all over the road (real slick). hope the info helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am running Pilot race soft tires and I was told to keep em at 26F 22R, Are the race tires stiffer to require a lower pressure ?

They do seem to grip a lot better tho

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
bkbroiler said:
I am running Pilot race soft tires and I was told to keep em at 26F 22R, Are the race tires stiffer to require a lower pressure ?

They do seem to grip a lot better tho
wow, that seems low, way low

·
Registered
230 Posts
If your on stock for the 05, probably running the 218's. Im still running stockers too and I run 36f/40r and I weigh 190 full gear. I run in the canyons and so far so good. Havnt tried anything lower but its a good starting point! Decent at the track at even lower tire pressures, but PP's or Qualifiers of course is the best for track!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts