Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking to invest in a quality pressure gauge this season, any recommendations and reasoning behind recommendations? thanks!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No matter what gauge you buy or how much it costs ALWAYS check the calibration. I have seen $450 liquid filled gauges be 6lbs off.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Most Race Venues have a tire vendor with a calibrated line out. The last time I did it myself it was a 27psi line from the Dunlop truck and my gauge was 2lbs high. I checked it several times right then and several more times over the years and it has always read 2lbs high which is fine as I know to always subtract 2 pounds to get the actual pressure. If you have a gauge that does not offer consistent results throw it away or get it professionally serviced. Doesn't do you any good to have a gauge that is only correct some of the time.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
As you are obviously aware once you have a gauge you know is consistent, then it is only a matter of comparing it to other gauges you own. For example you can use my gauge that I know reads 2lbs high to compare to your gauge to compare accuracy.

I literally write on my gauges with a sharpie the amount of PSI they are off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Most Race Venues have a tire vendor with a calibrated line out.
I just did this at the Pirelli trailer on Saturday. :ayyy:

My tires suddenly stopped shredding once I realized that I had two gauges that read two pounds off in the same direction.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
So I ordered one yesterday just for the sake of seeing how accurate it is.

Will post up my findings this evening after I do some testing

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
To be totally honest I don't trust the Motion Pro digital ones. Employed to spoon hoops at various tire vendors I have used dozens of those digital gauges and every single one of them reads differently or just plain doesn't work at all so I decided to stick with a unit that A. does not require batteries & B. is not in every other trailer in the paddock to help minimize the risk of it umm walking off...

The cost difference btw is like $2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts