Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

Just got done doing a little research and couldn't find much using the search. All I found was this http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76699&highlight=tire the search feature here sucks gives you wide area of posts thats have nothing to do with your question. Anyways back to my question

I need a new rear tire ASAP and when I was at it was just going to replace the stock front one when I am at it. Currently I am looking at the dunlop qualifiers seems like a pretty good tire for street use. My qeustsions are

1- Is this a good tire or should I look elsewhere?
2-What size tire should I get? I was going to go with the same size it says on my current tires. I don't know any diffrent any info would be great.

Sorry guys I know there is a boat load of tire threads out there I just couldn't find any without going through a million threads to find it ha.

Thanks for your help as always

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
If your main riding is commuting with a little sport riding I suggest the Diablo Strada's. Good life with good grip. Not the most sticky tire for sure but will last awhile and you can get sporty with it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I am looking for a tire for both fields. I ride almost everyday to work (about 100 miles a day) and ride sport on the weekends on some areas. Thanks I'll look into that anyone else have any other choices? Also on tire size does it matter much if I change up my tire size?

Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
I recently got my Michelin pilot 2ct's and love them! They grip at the track and the street. Center is a harder compound to last longer for more street riding.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the same about the dunlop qualifiers thats why I was going to go with them. I coudln't find the thread where i saw that info though

·
Registered
29 Posts
i recently got my michelin pilot 2ct's and love them! They grip at the track and the street. Center is a harder compound to last longer for more street riding.
:+1:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bridgestone BT-016's are every bit as good as the 2CT (I like them better) and about $100 cheaper a set. Qualifiers are basically the same construction from a different mfgr and I've never heard a bad thing about them. Q2 is my next tire when it comes out.

Size really doesn't matter. 180 rears are cheaper and lighter, 190 is heavier and more expensive but will give you more rubber on the road. 190/55 vs 50 is a whole different issue with virtually zero implications to the average rider.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Bridgestone BT-016's are every bit as good as the 2CT (I like them better) and about $100 cheaper a set. Qualifiers are basically the same construction from a different mfgr and I've never heard a bad thing about them. Q2 is my next tire when it comes out.

Size really doesn't matter. 180 rears are cheaper and lighter, 190 is heavier and more expensive but will give you more rubber on the road. 190/55 vs 50 is a whole different issue with virtually zero implications to the average rider.
yea, ive heard that the bt-016 are the way to go both price and life wise. i have never ridden on them, but my buddy has a 1000RR and he loves them.

·
Registered
795 Posts

:+1: 2 and 3...

My 10 came with the bt16's. I've used them for commuting (120 daily), weekend twisties and at a few trackdays - and LOVE them!! I get 8k+ miles on them; keep in mind, I'm at an upper-novice to very low-intermediate pace. They have good feel, don't get that greasy feeling and at $250/set a really good deal. After switching from d-flops to stones, I've never looked back

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had several sets of qualifiers and now some bt0016's and I have to agree with the above statements.... they are better than the qualifiers and even cost less. wear is good unless you are riding hard (like on the track) and even then it is ok. The grip and feel are outstanding!

Contact the site sponsor lexusrx for a great deal.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Qualifiers are a good tire, but there are probably better choices IMO. They're single compound, and the fronts tend to start cupping and the rear squares off quite a bit around 2000 miles or so. Feedback is great and they are a pretty sticky tire when they're in good shape though. I'm looking forward to the Q2's, but between now and then I'll probably go with the BT016's on my 10R. If you want to spend $$$ then Pirelli has a lot of good choices too.

I've never been a fan of the Pilot Powers...I just don't like how they feel compared to others.

As far as size, I tend to stick with spec size - in this case 120/70 up front and 190/55 in back.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Thanks I am looking for a tire for both fields. I ride almost everyday to work (about 100 miles a day) and ride sport on the weekends on some areas. Thanks I'll look into that anyone else have any other choices? Also on tire size does it matter much if I change up my tire size?

Thanks
The after market BT016 is a sticky tire and will wear quickly. The Perillie Rosso and strada are very good tires. I would stay with the same size as factory.

As far as you not noticing, you may not but your bike will perform at a lower level. Like driving with low tire pressure. Lowers gas mileage, adversly effects handling but you don't notice this until you put air back in the tires. Those engineers know what they are doing when they pick the tire size. Also the rim on the liter bikes are a little wider to accomodate the larger tires. Your making a lot of power I want as much rubber on the ground as possible.

Good luck!

My pick is the STRADA!

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I run Corsa III's on my ZX-10 and BT016's on the GSXR-1000. Since the GSXR is the bike she rides, I can't attest to the way they feel, only that they were only $250 for the set. Excellent price in today's economy and the reviews were pretty good.
As for the Corsa III's... I could tell the difference from nite and day in comparison to the stock D-flops it came with. I got 7K miles from my first set and just broke in my second set. For street riding I love them, havn't put them on the track yet, but that's coming. I've read threads where riders would change sizes... but just like someone said earlier, the engineers put that size on that bike for a specific reason... so that's why I stick with the specs. I think whichever tire you choose from the ones that have been suggested so far will satisfy your crave. Good luck.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the stock BT 016 on mine and the rear is just now ready to be replaced at a bit over 7000 miles, actually more then I expected, but then again I only been on a track once with them and otherwise just ride day trips to southern Indiana on weekends or around town sometimes, lots of nice roads down south...
I don't drag knees, but damn....it's so tempting with this bike:mrgreen:, and the tires holding it no matter what. Can only say good things about them, the feel and handling is good, I think they are even better then Michelins. They have a 3 compound rubber where as the Michelin only has 2. meaning the BT016 lasts longer and I believe sticks better to the road, But I will try the PiPo some day to see what the difference is.
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotpower2ct
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/glamourindex.aspx?productID=183&LookupID=9

Just my $.02

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got 4000 out of the stock 016's tried the 002's next very good for the first 2000 miles but after 2000 I had the front wash out a couple times and the rear was greasy, changed to my current set which is pilot power 2ct's so far so good only have about 800 miles on them. All the miles are Deals Gap & Skyway, running 31 in front and rear on all 3 sets.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've had a pretty good experience with my Michelin Power Roads. They are a little hard and can take a while to get good and warmed up, but they will last you a long long time and you can get sporty on them as long as they are warm.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks alot guys I think I am going to order me up a set of BT 16 stock size ^_^ seems to be a deal and fits my riding skill at the moment. Thanks again and as always zx-10r.net rocks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts