Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,
I bought the tires finally :).. front and rear, however; they are used on the track. The tred is pretty deep, however; sides look funny. I am attaching a couple of pictures. Is that how the tires look once they are used on the track? Or is there something wrong with the tire?

Also, anyone knows a a place to put these tires on? The place I checked with was charging 200 bucks, and 100 if I take the wheels to them (I do not have the stand, so it is kind of hard for me). Seems ridiculous to me :|
BTW, I live in NJ (07054)
Thanks and take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
They look like a set of track tires....I would take them to cycle gear or some place like that..They charge $20 per tire down here, I wouldn't pay more than $40 or so for both mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look like a set of track tires....I would take them to cycle gear or some place like that..They charge $20 per tire down here, I wouldn't pay more than $40 or so for both mounted and balanced.
Damn.. people here are ripping me off :|.. track tires.......So you think they are ok for the street use.. right?

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
I take my wheels off and take them to a local shop...mounted and balanced for $20 a tire. I've never heard of anyone trying to get $100 a tire.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Buy some stands and take the wheels off yourself. Will save you a shit load of money now and down the road. The things you can do with a set of stands...

·
Registered
634 Posts
The tire will even out after some street use. Tell that shop to eat a dick. That's just stupid expensive. Local shop here does both for $45. Half of that if you bring him the wheels.

·
Registered
410 Posts
$100 a tire:eyecrazy:???? you're effing joking right?

My local shop charges $30 if you take them off the bike yourself, and I thought that was a ripoff! I bought a bead breaker and some tire irons, and change them myself now. After changing countless sets of tires, its saved me hundreds!

And yes, those tires look fine. Soft race rubber does that when pushed hard. I'd be wary if the edges are noticably blue...usually means they've been through a deep heat cycle, and may not be as sticky as they should be (although toasted race rubber is probably still stickier than street).

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of the main reasons I bought my No mar changer was because of the high fees shops were charging. And then they would scratch your rims. I started a small business and I charge $10 per wheel mount and balance. Those high fees are crazy. Too bad you're not local!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the main reasons I bought my No mar changer was because of the high fees shops were charging. And then they would scratch your rims. I started a small business and I charge $10 per wheel mount and balance. Those high fees are crazy. Too bad you're not local!
Ahhhhhhh... I wish you were even within 100 Miles :(...
I maybe able to change the tire, but then balancing it is another issue :(..
Damn.. NJ sucks for bikers :mad:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Like everyone says...Take your wheels in, not your whole freakin bike.

$100. a wheel is ubber high, but, only "I just pay, I wouldn't dream of getting a dirty Pinky" types pay that.

$15 to $20 a wheel is typical here. And one dealership has gotten smart, they will do a tire you buy from them, or a tire you bought on the internet, (or a track takeoff) or whatever. They finally wised up to the reality of... if you are in there getting tires mounted/balanced, no matter where they came from, Your in their dealership looking at what they have, while your waiting.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yep, that's the way tires look after you've had them on the track. There's nothing wrong with the little bits and pieces (boogers as you put it) on the tires. It won't affect anything so just leave them alone. As far as having tires changed, You shouldn't be paying anymore then $20 bux per tire...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I run take offs and love 'em! Just realize they're
not going to last very long.

You do need to get some stands. Save $ in the
long run. Local shop here charges $45 to change
both for me. I made a balancing stand a few
months ago and change my own now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I run take offs and love 'em! Just realize they're
not going to last very long.

You do need to get some stands. Save $ in the
long run. Local shop here charges $45 to change
both for me. I made a balancing stand a few
months ago and change my own now.
:+1::iamwithst I did the same thing- spent $40 to make and purchase everything... no more paying for tire changes; just takes an hour of blood sweat and tears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts