Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Tire choices

Gen 3: 2008-10 
3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  craig_sez 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
Hopefully i can get some education from the more experienced guys n gals here..
I currently have a gen 3 zx10r and i love the corsa 3 tires on her..I have done some track days and two track schools but now i wanna try a lil racing so my question is..
Once i get another set of wheels(bike will be doin double duty as street and track bike)should i stay with dot legal street tires or should i look for some slicks...
Love some pro and cons type of advice and if anyone can provide me some links with some tire weights and expected life...A buddy of mine races and he tells me a tire order will be goin in soon so i wanna jump in on a bit of a deal he can get by buying a larger number of tire sets..

Im not lookin to go pro or nothin cause im 48 so im so far past my prime its not funny but i still wanna say i did it and didnt do to to bad,kinda of a bucket list/childhood dream thing..

#2 ·
48 views and not one comment..sux man..

#3 ·
Well, I'm not an expert and probably can't help you with your dilemma other than bumping this thread. But I say go for the slicks and see what happens. Yeah, they are expensive, but go for it. You only live once! Yeah, I did the YOLO thing. :lol: do it. You can always go back to DOT tires if you don't see any improvement.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
I have a gen 2? 2007! and with street rubber ridinging in the fast group or even the second fastest group i find street rubber goes off after about 4 to 5 laps ( on my home track which is a tight short track)
now running dunlop Ntec slicks in a Med front and rear times have dropped by 3 seconds a lap with no faid in grip like the street tyres. I'm useing take offs from local qualifying and they might have a dozen hot laps on them then there discarded, i get 6 to 8 track days from them. there half the cost to me compaired to new rubber

#9 ·
This.^^^^

Different tyres require different set ups so you don't want to be switching to a new tyre just before you race.

If you can run slicks, do it. There is a reason why none of the fast guys run street tyres. :wink: If you have to run DOT tyres, then stick with that and spend some time getting used to them.

I run Ntecs and they work great for me. I tried Pirellis once when they ran out of Dunlops and I found them to have far less edge grip compared to the Ntecs. I can get 2 race days out of a rear Ntec, but it's starting to move around a bit by the end of a weekend. I can then get another day out of that tyre at a track day before needing to replace it. The front Ntecs last ages. I can get 7 or 8 days out of a front, but I use the UK Ntec on the front as they offer a bit better grip.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the input....My corsa 3's have held up well so far but im getting the odd wobble from the rear end,they are wearin out...
What i did finally decide on wasa the pirelli pro slick...Its not the all out race slick but more of a track day slick but from different forums i have seen,they will do me perfectly..
Im only doin a cpl races and some track days out here in novascotia so what i got is perfect..Shubie is a lil under two miles long with 11 turns..The track is a bit rough with lotsa elevation changes so ill have my hands full..
Here is a you yube clip of the 09 nationals on my home track,recorded by tsn..

My tire choice...http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/n...for-competition-with-pirelli-wsbk-technology/

#13 ·
i used bridgestibe r10 dot tires. they last me around 100laps in track . and yeas expensive too . I get 4 trackday with them . Stick like glue . handling improves and flicks very easy infact too easy it scared me wen i used the first set. but once u get the hang of it every other tire feel like they flick slow.

Take a while longer to warm up . i dont use warmer so i run 3 laps to warm them up and they stick like super magnet.

I used them on the road on rainy days too and np at all .

Gonna try SC2 next session.

For the road i just use any cheap tires i can find. K3 016 s20 .pr3. etc.

#14 ·
Look craig .... Heres my skinny .. zx10s EAT tires so most people go with whats cheap but WORKS .. Ok . With that said . Screw cost .. Get yourself a set of :

Dunlop D211 DOT/RACE UK NTEC 120/200 set 489.00 set

Or

Bridgestone DOT RACE R10s 120/190

Compounds depend on where you live ... Warm climates like cali and arizona i run med front and med/hard rear always on a warmer to reduce heat cycles

Colder climates 70-90 i would run soft front / med rear

#15 ·
I have ran Pirelli Super Corsa's the dot races sc1/sc2 compounds cause a pirelli dealer ar the races literally gave me 4 sets to try em out . I gave them a test and tune day and my first race on Saturday . They stuck to the ground nice but started to fall off After 5 laps and i no longer had confidence . My ass end was drifting and my TC was slowing me down . So i sold two sets , the scuffs and mounted the other on my street bike.

I ride very aggressive. Im on the gas as i stand the bike up after apex through run off so i slide alot anyways . I brake late and in corners like T9 at Thunderhill i do all my braking trailing in . I am no expert but KFG Racing is a tire guru. You can hit him up

Www.kfgracing.com.

#16 ·
Well your out on the west coast of usa..im on east coast of canada...Lotsa elevation and its a course rough surface...Im new at it so it seems the pirelli's are working nicely..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.