Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any experience with manual tire changers that are fairly cheap? some that provide scratch protection as long as u know what ur doing. seen some on harbor freight but is very cheap.should i use it or not?

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I think that its a two person job...and if youre concerned with your rims getting scrached, Id avoid it...

Its very possible not to scatch them...but If you change them enough youre goin to...

I have one...Ive changed enough tires with it its payed for itself...

Just hard to find help for me to do it...

i think NINJA DUDE has one and he changes his by his self...I guess Im a wuss...:sad:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
A friend has the HF setup you refer to. Says it's cheap, but allows him to change tires by himself, so it paid for itself real fast. He says if he's careful and with the proper placement of tape in a few areas, he can change w/o scratching, but it's quirky and takes patience. FWIW. :confused: Guess I'd like to have one, but it takes up a little precious garage space.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have the Harbor, the first time I used it I sratched my rims, also scratched them doing it the bucket way. I will let you know next time I try it maybe next week, because now I drilled 2 3/8 holes into my garage concreat and installed threaded anchors. Then I bought 1 12in threaded rod (3/8 of course) and hacksawed the desired length that will screw into the anchor and above the base of the Changer and screw washer and nut on top of that. Now the thing is rock SOLID. As far as garage space, I just unscrew the Rods and remove the changer and back in the shed she goes:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yep, I've got the HF tire changer too. I've probably used it 4 times now and IMHO has been worth the money. The local cycle shop charged me $30 per tire once. That's when I decided to get it. Anyway, It's a little tough getting the hang of it but I've changed many tires as a kid so I pretty much knew what I was getting into. If you're carefull, which I'm not, you wont scratch your rims. Like CanyonCarver says, use plenty of tape. I also had a machine shop make me a couple of spools that would slide over a rod that I use to balance my tires. I do a little welding on the side so I made my own tire balancer.

:heyyou: I've seen you ride Hill. Anyone that can ride like that I wouldn't call a wuss. :thumbsup:
:eek:t: p.s. $149 for a set (front and rear) M1 at cycle gear this saturday. No I don't work for them. Great deal though..........

·
Registered
852 Posts
Coats 220 here. $700 if you shop around. Not worth for the average guy but I do as many as 10 tires a month of my own, plus I'm never far from a pizza and a 6 pack from a bud that needs a set changed out.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
mad kaw said:
Coats 220 here. $700 if you shop around. Not worth for the average guy but I do as many as 10 tires a month of my own, plus I'm never far from a pizza and a 6 pack from a bud that needs a set changed out.
I would like to try the Coats 220... I have a HF changer, but I think the Coats is a much better design. Should make things easier... Plus they have the plastic protectors for everything...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
El Diablo said:
I would like to try the Coats 220... I have a HF changer, but I think the Coats is a much better design. Should make things easier... Plus they have the plastic protectors for everything...
Would that make real consumer sense :headshake: Lets say for sake of argument you change your tires just 5 times a year and save $30 a pop from a profesional dealer doing them, that would equal $150 in savings. If you buy that tire changer at $700 than it would take almost 5yrs to make up costs :badteeth: Your money and time but I say you get protectors and mount the HF like I did and go buy yourself a few more tires with the savings. :idea:

but on the other hand I guess you have a point if you have allot of friends that need tire changes....lots of Beer and Pizzas:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use a press to break the beads and a couple of tire irons to take the tire on off and on the rim. Did put a few small marks on the rims but nothing bad.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
bluedevil said:
Would that make real consumer sense :headshake: Lets say for sake of argument you change your tires just 5 times a year and save $30 a pop from a profesional dealer doing them, that would equal $150 in savings. If you buy that tire changer at $700 than it would take almost 5yrs to make up costs :badteeth: Your money and time but I say you get protectors and mount the HF like I did and go buy yourself a few more tires with the savings. :idea:

but on the other hand I guess you have a point if you have allot of friends that need tire changes....lots of Beer and Pizzas:thumbsup:
Well, there are TONS of folks around here tired of paying $30-$75 per wheel (yes, shops around here quote that high with YOU taking the wheels off. Especially out here in bumfuk where I live. I could do my own and save $$$, do my bros for pizza & beer or whatever, and charge anyone else around here that wanted it done $15 a wheel and it would make much better sense. Not that I'm convinced to spend the $700... but I've entertained the thought. But you do have a point. I'd be lucky to end up just breakin' even on it eventually. :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
El Diablo said:
Well, there are TONS of folks around here tired of paying $30-$75 per wheel (yes, shops around here quote that high with YOU taking the wheels off. Especially out here in bumfuk where I live. I could do my own and save $$$, do my bros for pizza & beer or whatever, and charge anyone else around here that wanted it done $15 a wheel and it would make much better sense. Not that I'm convinced to spend the $700... but I've entertained the thought. But you do have a point. I'd be lucky to end up just breakin' even on it eventually. :dontknow:
I knew you would respond.....remember when we first got the HF's and talked about getting a big board to mount them too? I just said fugg. it and got my hilti drill and drilled, it's really solid now and for those that don't have a hammer drill you can probably rent them for half a day at $20 bucks or so. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Dealers around here are independent SOBs, won't even mount a tire that you did buy there. "Bring the bike in and will will get them tires on in a week," (which means you will be lucky to see it in two weeks). I mount and balance my own using a 13" car wheel padded on the edge with some split 1/2 fuel line, three Motion Pro tire irons and a bottle jack that I use to break beads by placing the tire under the reciever hitch of my one truck and using the base of the bottle jack to break the bead. I have a balancer I made out of some ABEC 7 skate bearings bought at Walmart.

Motorcycle dealers can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
damn, a hell of a deal on the M1's, no need now for them, i want to give the pilots a whirle next. had the M1's for about 8k miles now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts