Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2014 ZX10R
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I hit something on the highway and bent my rear rim. I had a tire blowout a couple days ago and in the process trashed my stock tail light and turn signals. I think ill go with Motodynamic's integrated rear brake and turn signal light, but what else am I missing? I threw in a pic of the tire for your entertainment. Lol

Registered
Hugger fender. BTW, did the hugger get pulled into the tire and that's what caused the tire to fail so dramatically? I saw that happen at a track day where a guy put a slick on that didn't have sufficient clearance for his hugger at high speed. It made a hell of a racket so he was able to stop before the tire failed. Just a thought-

Registered
2014 ZX10R
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hugger fender. BTW, did the hugger get pulled into the tire and that's what caused the tire to fail so dramatically? I saw that happen at a track day where a guy put a slick on that didn't have sufficient clearance for his hugger at high speed. It made a hell of a racket so he was able to stop before the tire failed. Just a thought-
I don't think so. Sucks for that guy. Wonder what size the slick was...

Registered
Yup, that wheel is definitely repairable. I've had much worse happen and it still repaired well and balanced perfectly. You're going to need a new decal though since your wheel will most likely need to be repainted.

As for Motodynamic lights, I think you're referring to their LED turn signals that have a similar housing to the World spec OEM Kawasaki turn signals? I have those and I'd recommend you set them up in the flash setting instead of the sequential setting. While really neat to watch, the sequential setting doesn't shed a whole lot of light so it's not as visible.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

Registered
2014 ZX10R
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, that wheel is definitely repairable. I've had much worse happen and it still repaired well and balanced perfectly. You're going to need a new decal though since your wheel will most likely need to be repainted.

As for Motodynamic lights, I think you're referring to their LED turn signals that have a similar housing to the World spec OEM Kawasaki turn signals? I have those and I'd recommend you set them up in the flash setting instead of the sequential setting. While really neat to watch, the sequential setting doesn't shed a whole lot of light so it's not as visible.
Ok thanks. Good to hear that about the rim...My bad,, I just checked, on my 2019 Ninja 1000 I have the MD integrated brake and turn light, but it's not available for Gen 4 ZX10R. Not sure what I'll do with the rear brake light as it does not work currently 馃

Registered
I've had bad experience with getting a bent rim fixed. Mind you it was for my 2008 Sportster front rim. At first it was ok but the more I rode it I started to notice a wobble. Bit the bullet and bought a new one. Now if it would of happen to my ZX I would buy a new one just because of the high speeds that we love to ride. Best of luck brother!

The Pace
First thought was Mich power tire, but then not sure after studying pic; but looks like fabric belt so poor quality. . What tire? Next thought. after the hit, you needed to stop and look for damaged rim. Once noted, slow ride home. As the blow out occurred from reduced tire psi due to the rim failure OR you caused the rim failure running too low psi, hit the object, THEN lost more psi causing tire failure. Let us know.

If your shop as a good tech guy then just let him fix whatever. A good wrench will sort crap out as he goes.

Registered
2014 ZX10R
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First thought was Mich power tire, but then not sure after studying pic; but looks like fabric belt so poor quality. . What tire? Next thought. after the hit, you needed to stop and look for damaged rim. Once noted, slow ride home. As the blow out occurred from reduced tire psi due to the rim failure OR you caused the rim failure running too low psi, hit the object, THEN lost more psi causing tire failure. Let us know.

If your shop as a good tech guy then just let him fix whatever. A good wrench will sort crap out as he goes.
Michelin Road 2s. Had about 1200 miles on them, still were looking good. And no, the ride home was NOT slow :badteeth:

Registered
What was it that you hit in the road?

Debris from another accident? An expansion joint? A garden gnome?

Looking at the damage to the back wheel, I'd be checking the front wheel as well.

Registered
I am running the Custom LED integrated light on the back of my Gen 4. I bought it a month or so ago, and absolutely love it. It is made in the USA, and is fully programmable. The brightness of the running and stop lights can be adjusted and it is capable of flashing or strobing the brake light to alert inattentive motorists.

BTW, I have absolutely no involvement with them.

On a side note, if you are wanting to go back to stock, you are welcome to my factory tail light free of charge. I'd much rather it be on another bike than just set in a box on the shelf for the rest of its days.

As far as fixing the wheel goes, honestly I wouldn't bother. Finding a straight non-screwed one isn't hard at all and they are usually quite reasonably priced. Depending on s/h charges you could very well get another wheel for the same cost or less than repairing yours. Also, be sure to inspect the front wheel very carefully. That kind of impact damage took a hell of a lot of force.

While the damage to the rear end looks bad, you were unbelievably lucky. Many riders who suffer a catastropic failure like yours end up getting up close and personal with asphalt. I'd be buying a lottery ticket or 5 if I were you.

Registered
2014 ZX10R
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am running the Custom LED integrated light on the back of my Gen 4. I bought it a month or so ago, and absolutely love it. It is made in the USA, and is fully programmable. The brightness of the running and stop lights can be adjusted and it is capable of flashing or strobing the brake light to alert inattentive motorists.

BTW, I have absolutely no involvement with them.

On a side note, if you are wanting to go back to stock, you are welcome to my factory tail light free of charge. I'd much rather it be on another bike than just set in a box on the shelf for the rest of its days.

As far as fixing the wheel goes, honestly I wouldn't bother. Finding a straight non-screwed one isn't hard at all and they are usually quite reasonably priced. Depending on s/h charges you could very well get another wheel for the same cost or less than repairing yours. Also, be sure to inspect the front wheel very carefully. That kind of impact damage took a hell of a lot of force.

While the damage to the rear end looks bad, you were unbelievably lucky. Many riders who suffer a catastropic failure like yours end up getting up close and personal with asphalt. I'd be buying a lottery ticket or 5 if I were you.
Thanks, I'm going with a good integrated tail light because the turn signals are destroyed as well and it will be easier to have a 2 in 1. The front tire and rim look good, and the tire pressure is the same as before the accident. What brand did you choose?

As far as what I hit on the highway...who knows. My guardian angel was looking out for me then too ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts