Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for clip style balancing weights.

All I can find are flat tape-on style and I don't trust it to stay on the front of my '04.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
In my life of motorcycles and 40k miles of riding...I've had the tape on weights come off 1 time.....I don't like the clip ons because they buggar the rims....Just my opinion....

Also if you don't trust the tape on's....black some black duct tape over them....

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
I have been using the stick on weigts for years and never had one come off. Remember centrifical force is pulling them down not away from the rim. just make sure you prep the surface well and they stick on just fine.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the surface kind of slopes away from the center of the wheel and it seems like the weights will be subject to sideways sliding forces.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I've had and rode sportbikes for many years and think i can only remember throwing a "stick on " weight maybe once...and that's cause i don't think the surface was cleaned before they were put on? now i have had the clip on style shift or come loose and scratch the piss out of the lip of the rim it was on at the time though. i guess it boils down to personal preference?

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
For what it’s worth I have NEVER balanced a set of tire! IMO it' just doesn’t need to be done! I know there are guys that will argue the point but I have never done it and never noticed any wobbles! Just line up you yellow dot with the valve stem and your Taco bell!

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
For what it’s worth I have NEVER balanced a set of tire! IMO it' just doesn’t need to be done! I know there are guys that will argue the point but I have never done it and never noticed any wobbles! Just line up you yellow dot with the valve stem and your Taco bell!
:+1: I only balance the fronts?

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Like I said some people do make valid arguments for the use of balancing, but I go through a lot of sets of tires per year {{but I also run slicks not DOT’s + I’m lazy! I hate changing tires let alone doing anything else to them! But I have been over 180mph on unbalanced slicks manny times and never has a wobble at all! But I will say if you do have a tire balancer why not do it there is nothing wrong with a lil extra insurance!

·
Banned
333 Posts
Thad,
I'm not doubting your theory by any means but I've had one set of DOTs/Slicks that didn't require any weights. I always use the standard stick on weights and I tape over them because I have thrown several weights over time in fact I've been hit by some at a few different places and like rocks, they hurt lol. A big piece of duct tape works great and will pass tech in all race orgs in the US

·
Registered
231 Posts
NOT to sure how many of you guys do trackdays, my experience is um....you balance your tires? no reason to but anyways carry on with this thread! IF you can hit 240 and feel a difference, between a balance tire that will chuck and snap your plastic or hit yea! between a unbalanced tire with no duct tape? you guys are to good for me lmao!:dontknow:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you kidding? You can't feel an unbalanced tire? It's less a wobble in my case than an up/down vibration in the bars that I feel even at speeds as low as 80mph.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Are you kidding? You can't feel an unbalanced tire? It's less a wobble in my case than an up/down vibration in the bars that I feel even at speeds as low as 80mph.
Hey not here to argue, go balance your tires...dont forget to duct tape the weights down,or next post will be how i tore my rad and plastic up when i balanced my tires.............lmao carry on!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I recently got new tires put on to replace the OEM ones on my 09m and had the rims balanced.. It only required weights on the front and boy did that make a difference to the vibrations at the bars..
Before i was getting numb hands all the time when riding,now nothing!:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts