Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monday I'm getting a new tire mounted on my ZX10.
Tire dude told me to remove the sprocket before I bring in the rim.
Notta problem,but is it neccessary to remove the sprocket to mount and balance a new tire?
How does removeing the sprocket affect the balancing process?
I'll bring the sprocket,and the other parts off the rear rim incase he discovers he made an error in telling me so but,I have never had to remove the sprocket in order to balance the new tire on the rim.
Maybe they've done this before,without my knowledge also in the shop.
What do you guys say about this?

·
Registered
844 Posts
i do my own tires and remove only because it sets flatter and makes it easier.when i used a shop,it stayed on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
its better to actually have it on, the sprocket is part of the rotational mass...

sprocket would not get in the way in mounting or balancing really... but do it if he asked i guess.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i thought....

It's a reputable shop and all.
They even have a couple of guys in the shop that race at the local circuit level,and sponsor those guys.
So I know they know,what they're talking about.
Definetly got me thinking on this one though.
Thanks everyone for your input..

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always take my sprocket off when changing and balancing my tires. I've never had a problem with the balance. I would think it would be harder to balance with it on since it does have some give/twist to it when riding due to the little dampers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Lots of shops remove the sprocket, it's no big deal. One less thing for them to screw up.
:+2:

Sprocket assembly it self should be ballanced on it's own from whatever manufacture or OEM you get it from...so no need for it to be on the wheel as you ballance...and also, as mentioned above, one less thing to get screwed up at the shop.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Either way is fine. It just pulls right out of the cush drive anyway. Some people do, others don't. Makes no difference.

If I remember correctly, I think the NoMar instructional video says to remove it. Gives you a chance to inspect the cush drive, but I've never seen one worn enough to need replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts