Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or used the tire balancing beads? Just sent my rims out to be powder coated and I really would like to avoid using the weights since they can mess up the paint. I have heard the beads work great on vehicles but no real information on motorcycles. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I used the balancing beads every time I change tires (almost every other month) and they work well.. the factory balance is always the smoothest so I did notice a little difference after ditching the factory weights but not much.. I do notice the front beads usually turn into dust by the time I change the tire cause I get about 6 k out of my front tires. I used 2 ounces in the front and 2 ounces in the back and my bike is very smooth.

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Not needed on g4 using powers. But I can see how they may work for distance cruisers that run the hard-last-forever tires.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Why not use stick on weights???

Powdercoated rims, the stick on will not mess them up...

If you hand painted them, maybe

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a buddy who got them on his FJR who says they're great. Everybody I know who tried them on race replicas and sumos hate them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They are not made for racing or high speedo

·
Registered
968 Posts
I watch a demo at the dealer expo a few years ago. The beads seem pretty cool. The salesman was saying how a land yacht racers use them to stop the wheel that is in the air to stop vibrating.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I have been testing them out in my SM wheels, inside a tube. They have worked well so far. I would not ut them in my Forged Mags or BST's though. I would worry about what they would do to the epoxy based BST's from the inside

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
this. is all you need to know. nothing beats first hand knowledge, but, sometimes it ain't worth it

Hellsrazor

Said they suck.
Ok, so I just installed the counteract beads in my front tire to test them out.
Took it out for a test spin.
Got up to 90 mph and felt a definite Thump Thump Thump in the front end.
Slowed to a stop and accelerated again to 90.
Same results as before.

So, my conclusion on these counteract beads is this.....
These pieces of shit are coming out of my bike.
Going back to stick on wheel weights.
Wasted $54 bucks buying enough to do 4 wheels.

Save your money.

Epic FAIL

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
this. is all you need to know. nothing beats first hand knowledge, but, sometimes it ain't worth it
But what one person might think 100 other might think differently.I base my knowledge on first hand and I have bought these and they work wonders on cars and trucks.Bikes I have a hit or miss and sometimes it had to do with older worn tires and bent rims..

I install them on my new bike with new tires and worked perfectly,maybe he install to many or not enough beads.:dontknow:

These things do work, but when they don't there are factors in play for the reasoning.Just can't get hot headed when you go down the road and feel some vibrations after you installed them.

If all engineers gave up this easy we all would be living in the stone age still.Trail and error :heyyou:

·
Registered
546 Posts
:+1:
but what one person might think 100 other might think differently.i base my knowledge on first hand and i have bought these and they work wonders on cars and trucks.bikes i have a hit or miss and sometimes it had to do with older worn tires and bent rims..

I install them on my new bike with new tires and worked perfectly,maybe he install to many or not enough beads.:dontknow:

These things do work, but when they don't there are factors in play for the reasoning.just can't get hot headed when you go down the road and feel some vibrations after you installed them.

If all engineers gave up this easy we all would be living in the stone age still.trail and error :heyyou:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have used them in my last two sets of tires. Love them. Done track as well no problems what so ever. Tire dealer up at the track uses them on almost every set of tires they install. Some guys wanted the stick on type so that's what they were given. 90%+ want the beads. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (yeah, like I need to say that!) but I believe if you find the heavy spot on your rim, without any weights on it, all you have to do after that is make sure you put the little green or yellow dot on your new tire in that location and the whole thing is balanced. I dunno but it kind of makes sense. I'll give a try on my 10R when it comes time for a tire change.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (yeah, like I need to say that!) but I believe if you find the heavy spot on your rim, without any weights on it, all you have to do after that is make sure you put the little green or yellow dot on your new tire in that location and the whole thing is balanced. I dunno but it kind of makes sense. I'll give a try on my 10R when it comes time for a tire change.
The dot is not on every tire and every brand out there.But the dot is to line up with valve stem

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The dot is not on every tire and every brand out there.But the dot is to line up with valve stem
Right but where the valve stem is, is not always the heavy spot. Someone here or on ZX6R.com did a real nice write-up on homemade tire changing equipment and techniques for changing and balancing tires. That is where I got that info.. I started getting together all I need to make my own tire balancing stand. After I get it made and when I do my first tire change on one of my sport bikes, I'll let you know how it works out. :smile:

I'm not putting anything but air in my tires. Unless, of course, I go with Nitrogen. :wink:

·
Registered
333 Posts
That all depends on which tires you are running. Right now i'm using Michelin PP and Michelin claims that they are perfectly balanced from the factory. Bullshit! I like the tires but they are far from uniform. One tire is weighted differently from the next. My last rear took no weights, this one i just put on 2 months ago took 8. So the yellow dot at the lightest spot doesn't always work, not with Michelin anyway. Aside form that, my PP's have never come with a mark on them for reference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts