Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I found some pretty good deals on tires. The problem I'm wrestling with is that the manufacture date is 14/07 (14th week of 2007). I know that age can affect tire life and performance so how old is too old? Would you put on a brand new tire that was made in 07?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Depends how they were stored?
2 years isn't so bad,either they're tires this dealer can't sell,no demand.Over ordered the original order,or the tires went defective in production and the riders in the know,know they're questionable? in reliabilty.
I'd shy away from them,just depends on your needs for their use.
Stored on end and in a cold environment they might have flat spotted.
Stored laying down with boxes on top of them,mis-shaped profile.
Key is where were they stored,semi-heated warehouse or out back in the cold shed?

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,372 Posts
I had a similar issue, Cycle gear had a killer deal a while back on a set of PP, so I went and bought a few sets. Well turned out I didn't think ahead that I would go through them quick enought and by the time I was about to put on the last set it was a year or 2 old and yes it was in my living room behind couch in all, warm no sun, etc.
But I ride hard so I didn't want to take ANY chances so I swapped them out with a new set.
For me personally, I don't play around, a ZX-10R is not a normal bike. ALWAYS have best fresh tires, brakes and oil. Some of it maybe real physical difference or mental/Psychological. Still rather be safe with my life.

That's just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i bought my 06 in the spring brand new so it was 3 years old, plus however long the tires were made before the bike. i got 4000 miles and still on the original tires so my tires are over a year older than the ones you speak of.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have done fast track days on DOTs as old as 2005.. I would not enter a race with them but for the adveage guy riding the canyons they would be great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tire life is good for up to six years. After that, the rubber does not adhere as well to itself. Does not matter if it has been used or sitting on a shelf.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts