Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research and have found in multiple readings of a ratio for advancing timing based on octane. The ratio I've found ON AVG was 1 degree of advance required .5 to .75 increase in octane. So for ex an 06 10 is suppose to use 90 octane (although I believe manufactures play it safe so 89 maybe 88 would be fine for stock) if you increase the octane to 92 then using the 1 degree to .5 octane increase ratio you could safely advance the timing 4 degrees. If we go back to some old posts from Ivan where he mechanically advanced the timing 4 degrees (by slotting some plate) and said it was fine on 92 octane without pinging it works out. Anyway just wondering if anyone else knows of this ratio between timing advance and octane ratio?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Not sure about ratios or anything but I run 93 octane in mine and have it advanced 4 degrees without issues. I think it could handle more timing in certain rpm ranges but decided to play it safe for now. I may give it a tad more if it seems beneficial when I'm on the dyno next time.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'm running 10 degrees advance with 13.5:1 compression pistons and 93 octane with no detonation what so ever.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Damn WOW is that 10 degrees through out the throttle and rpm range of the Ignition screen. I always thought it was good to advance timing in the lower to mid rpm range but to have it retarded in the 80% - 100% throttle position throught the rpm range. Just what I have learned dont know if its true or not. Whats your thoughts Garth??

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Well one thing is that my motor isnt stock so lets just say from bike to bike it will be different period but I advanced timing in throttle percentages actually I tapered it from 2 degrees to 10 degrees from 2% throttle to 100% throttle...... she doesnt ping at all and makes gobs of power so im happy.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you are advancing your timing 4 degrees on a streetbike.....why? There will be no power gain from it. Timing adjustments are nice for motors that are not stock....but stock and 4 degrees the gain is so minimal.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
axo's bike isn't stock.
I dunno what you're talking about. As far as everyone that wants to race knows... it is stock. :lol:

But yes my motor is built. 3mil with headwork, cams, and all the other nit nats. And 4 degrees did make a difference.

Speed- actually the way the bikes are running for garth and I.. we keep the timing slightly advanced in the lower and in the upper rpms more timing can be added. It's not necessarily based on throttle. RPM has more to do with how it handles the timing advance.

I actually put a timing module on a buddies stock bike and he said he could tell some difference in it also at 4 degrees. He should be up to my tuner before too long so we'll see where the tuner sets things at on a stock motor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That''s good info I am interested in what timing if any is added to a stock motor. I'm not looking for major hp just all that I can get cause with the race ecu it's really easy to change it. I don't want to run it on the ragged edge so my goal is to run 91 octane and tune the motor to it. If I get 1 hp with 2 degrees advance and reliably I'm good. If I can run 4 degrees and get 3 hp that's even. So AXO keep me posted.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That''s good info I am interested in what timing if any is added to a stock motor. I'm not looking for major hp just all that I can get cause with the race ecu it's really easy to change it. I don't want to run it on the ragged edge so my goal is to run 91 octane and tune the motor to it. If I get 1 hp with 2 degrees advance and reliably I'm good. If I can run 4 degrees and get 3 hp that's even. So AXO keep me posted.
Will do man. I'll be sure to tell my buddy to run with no timing if possible and then start adding it in to see where they get. I told him how to go check for some preignition by really lugging the motor down and throwing the throttle to it and he said it never sputtered once with 4 degrees in it. I wouldn't go as far as Garth has gone on a stock motor. Garth only throws the serious timing in at the top which is probably going to be okay. It may be hard on the rings but I'm guessing his gapless rings will do fine. They have thus far at least. I'd definitely suggest getting a TRE also unless the race ecu does the same thing for you. It gives some added spunk to it on the low end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts