Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm nearing 15k miles and coming due for valve clearance check and adjustment on my Gen 2. After doing the plugs at 7500 I am not inclined to go much further into the bike without expert assistance. My question is, who would you suggest in the Tampa/Wesley Chapel Florida area to perform the service? Someone/somewhere you have experience with that is reputable, professional, etc? Or, I am willing to pay a technician and/or member to come on over one weekend and assist. I could get everything down to where I did when I did the plugs, which is pretty much just short of the valve cover.
Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Well, checking them is pretty straight forward. It's the adjusting part that's a bit more tedious and involved. I'd offer to help you out with them, but my time is very limited these days. You may try contacting Chad Wolfe, as I've heard nothing but good things about him. He runs an independent shop out of his house. Check him out for contact info on the TSB board.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, checking them is pretty straight forward. It's the adjusting part that's a bit more tedious and involved. I'd offer to help you out with them, but my time is very limited these days. You may try contacting Chad Wolfe, as I've heard nothing but good things about him. He runs an independent shop out of his house. Check him out for contact info on the TSB board.
I'll probably start there. Like you said, checking clearance is no biggie, its the adjustments, shims, etc.... Sounds scary. I consider myself above average mechanically inclined, and could probably tackle it myself, but would prefer someone that has done it before and knows specific procedures, etc from experience.
Rep sent

Anyone else want to jump in on this topic?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
If you're above average mechanic and you can add and subtract simple numbers and have tools it's really not that hard of a job to do, little time consuming, but not hard. If you take your time you can get it done no problem.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I know this is off topic a little, but at what miles should you change the plugs or airfilter? I have 12k on my bike and still haven't changed these or even the coolant for that matter.. However, she runs cooler and stronger than she ever has..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
I know this is off topic a little, but at what miles should you change the plugs or airfilter? I have 12k on my bike and still haven't changed these or even the coolant for that matter.. However, she runs cooler and stronger than she ever has..
Air filter and coolant are overdue at that mileage. Filter should be checked at least every 5k IMO. The coolant swapped every 2 years. The valve check and possible adjustment can go to 15k. Same with the plugs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
If you're above average mechanic and you can add and subtract simple numbers and have tools it's really not that hard of a job to do, little time consuming, but not hard. If you take your time you can get it done no problem.
:+1:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll probably start there. Like you said, checking clearance is no biggie, its the adjustments, shims, etc.... Sounds scary. I consider myself above average mechanically inclined, and could probably tackle it myself, but would prefer someone that has done it before and knows specific procedures, etc from experience.
Rep sent

Anyone else want to jump in on this topic?

Its actually not that bad. Like someone else here said, if you have some feeler gauges and a torque wrench, you're pretty much there. The service manual is easy to understand and the math is simple.
The cams ride on the buckets. The buckets cover the top of the valve. There's a shim of a specific thickness under the bucket. if the clearance is out of spec, the math will tell you what shim you need.
Then you pull the cam chain tensioner out, put a tie wrap thru the cam chain (to the frame), and following the bolt pattern sequence in the manual, pull the cams out.
A magnet and the bucket and shim come out, and all you do is replace that little guy and you're off to the races!

I took some pictures the first time I was in there. Check em out here

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Its actually not that bad. Like someone else here said, if you have some feeler gauges and a torque wrench, you're pretty much there. The service manual is easy to understand and the math is simple.
The cams ride on the buckets. The buckets cover the top of the valve. There's a shim of a specific thickness under the bucket. if the clearance is out of spec, the math will tell you what shim you need.
Then you pull the cam chain tensioner out, put a tie wrap thru the cam chain (to the frame), and following the bolt pattern sequence in the manual, pull the cams out.
A magnet and the bucket and shim come out, and all you do is replace that little guy and you're off to the races!

I took some pictures the first time I was in there. Check em out here
Rep sent. Maybe I will consider getting into it myself... The other factor is time, which I barely have even to ride.
Thanks

7/30
I got lucky and spoke with Chad the other night after sending him a PM on TSB, and I'm sold. This would be the first time I ever brought any of my bikes somewhere for service. As his reputation suggests, he's the exception to most and seems extremely knowledgeable and professional. He's in the midst of a move right now and won't be taking work until mid September. Being that I only ride on weekends, typically 150 miles total, I think I can wait for Chad to squeeze me in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts