Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys after 28900Kms countless trackdays, sunday rides and daily commutes the zx-10 is starting to moan. She's not as tight as she used to be and needs surgery.

So a new cam chain will be on order soon. Now my mechanic is rather busy and he has suggested that I do it myself. He knows my mechanical background reasonably well and he seems confident I can do it with the manual and basic tools in hand:thumbsup:.

I have delved fairly deep into strokers having rebuilt topends and split cases etc, I have also worke on 4 banger traillies street bikes etc but never with the heads.

Should I do it? The mechanic has said he is happy to take it on in bits if at any stage i do feel I'm in over my head.

Also does anyone have a race cam they want to let go cheap? if i'm in there anyway:dontknow: only I can't afford a new one after that absurd price hike:bs:

Any comments concerns welcome!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
have you considered a thin head gasket?? a lill compression bump never hurts.

BD

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yah that was also on the list. I geuss after taking cams out etc it's only that little bit extra to take the head off completely. Does the thin head gasket bring any requirements with it in regards to fuel used due to the higher compression?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Yah that was also on the list. I geuss after taking cams out etc it's only that little bit extra to take the head off completely. Does the thin head gasket bring any requirements with it in regards to fuel used due to the higher compression?
My understanding is there's 2 or 3 avail with diff thicknesses but i doubt even the thinnest one will require any special fuel. Whats more important is valve-piston clearance.

BD

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'd put a new head gasket in it if I were you. Just take your time and you will be fine to do it. I would highly suggest marking your cams before you take them out... just draw a line across both of them with arrows pointing outward to make sure you get them lined back up. Just draw it in relate to the top of the head. Also you may wanna consider a valve adjustment while you are there. At least check em, with that many miles it may be time for one. Hell while you're at it, look at a Kawi intake cam and change spark plugs!!! Haha! It's all fairly straight forward stuff with the exception of cam timing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
it not bad if you take your time.hell if you get stuck you all was got you buddy to get you out of mess.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys! I will do the cam if i can get one soon enough cheap enough. Valve clearances was on the list if i could figure it out. Didn't think of the sparkies but may aswell chuck a few new ones in. Thanks again guys, looks like i better get my bike lift fixed in the next few weeks!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You just need a set of gap readers (name?). Same things you use to measure spark plug gap. Its not too complicated to do. I think you could do most of this entirely by yourself. You may need an extra hand every once in a while. Let us know if you need any more help. Good luck with things.

·
Registered
186 Posts
28000km!!i think it's a little bit early for camchain change...BUT...if you go to www.kawasaki.com and look for the parts diagram,you'llsee that there is a recall for the camchain tensioner and the bolts.Be sure to change this too..as for the inlet cam,i think it's cheap enough('bout 150$).i installed it with STOCK valve spring,0.45 HEAD GASKET,and minor headwork,as tthe race manual says..but i've no idea if the cam only ,:dontknow:works without all the rest

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys. Will be ordering the parts this week. And the race parts if they have prices for me. Cheers Mastino will look into the cam chain tensioner too.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
you guys would be suprised how cam chains look sometimes... when i put my motor together I had to replace the cam chain and that was at 18,000 miles. The sucker was kinked in several places and didnt look healthy at all out of the motor.

once you get the cams out and remove all the stuff behind that small engine cover like the CPS and some other things you can slide the splined sprocket off and you can pull the chain out from the bottom and you should be able to get the new one on from the top maybe.

I'd go for the .45 head gasket I ran that with the kawi intake race and it ran real good.... pump gas.... I still run pump gas on my built motor and thats at 13.5:1 compression and i have maxed out my advance in timing....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so now the price of the intake cam has dropped again i want to order one, however my local shop are really great at ordering stuf....not so can anyone recommend an online supplier that will ship to australia?

Also will the cam need any degreeing or will it install straight in, ie straight replacement of the standard one (This seems to be the case from other threads). And last of all what thickness head gasket. Bearing in mind I ride this bike every day so nothing to drastic. Ie still needs to be reliable and usable.

Cam chain and neccesary gaskets are already on order!

Cheers guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts