Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I can't seem to find the answer to this using the search function.
Are you able to access the front left valve cover bolt (the leaky corner) without pulling the tank, airbox, TBs, etc?
I was thinking of trying to slip a washer on the front left bolt and then re-tightening it down (so the bolt won't bottom out) and seeing if that would slow down or stop the valve cover oil leak.
I just don't want to have to pull everything if I can mend the situation more easily.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hey guys,
I can't seem to find the answer to this using the search function.
Are you able to access the front left valve cover bolt (the leaky corner) without pulling the tank, airbox, TBs, etc?
I was thinking of trying to slip a washer on the front left bolt and then re-tightening it down (so the bolt won't bottom out) and seeing if that would slow down or stop the valve cover oil leak.
I just don't want to have to pull everything if I can mend the situation more easily.
Thanks.
Wtf, are you serious????? Dude, if you're going to do half ass jobs on big stuff like that, sell your zx10 and get a gixxer or something....or just quit being lazy and fix the problem!

The answer to your question is a definite No. Buy a frickin valve cover gasket they are like $15, download the service manual and use the "how to" section here that has some great writeups, and spend a day with your girl so you can fix her...unless you are one of those people who really dont care about your bike then just ride it till it blows up or something and never get another kawi again...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
The compression of the bolt against the valve cover is not the issue.

Replace the gasket. Do what needs to be done to do it. Yes, you have to tear half of the bike apart to get to it. Deal with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The compression of the bolt against the valve cover is not the issue.

Replace the gasket. Do what needs to be done to do it. Yes, you have to tear half of the bike apart to get to it. Deal with it.
Thanks GoFaster, I figured I need to replace it which i dont mind doing but I read on here that some people have fixed the issue with the washer setup. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that solution. Thanks.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Thanks GoFaster, I figured I need to replace it which i dont mind doing but I read on here that some people have fixed the issue with the washer setup. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that solution. Thanks.
That was a pressure washer, insert at the leaky point and spray until water comes from the base gasket.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
make u a suggestion, only cost about $10 and worth a try. done it many times over the years for oil leaks. can last quite a while to permanetly if done right. superglue it, get a bottle of locktite professional superglue, blue bottle home depot carries it. this brand only. get a can of starting fluid or lacquer thinner, they contain no oils at all, and some large q tips. if u can access the leaking area, clean it perfectly clean and oil free at the rubber gasket, use a rag on finger with solvent. key is getting it clean. solvent will flash dry quickly. apply super glue on q tip until saturated and wipe the leak area with a cple of wet strokes covering the mating surfaces at rubber gasket is sufficient. little is better. cotton q tip and superglue react very quickly to harden so position yourself to wet and swab quickly. lowtech, sounds like bs, but generally effective fix for many small leaks. member on here had oil leak with pics at left corner of engine where engine cases mate. tried this, last response with pics, 2k and still dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts