Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tickle charger today for my battery. I am planning on taking it out for the winter.

It is a manual charger of 1 amp. It says that the typical charge time is from 2 hour to 20hours for a heavy duty battery.

I was planning on bringing my battery inside and putting it on the tickle charger for the whole winter. Now I am thinking that this is something that you do once a week for a couple of hours...like every Saturday morning for 2 hours during the winter months.

What is the right way?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I'd say once a week for 2hrs is plenty if not excessive.

moved to zx10 section

BD

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Take that thing back and get a battery tender. Hard-wire the lead to the battery, route where you can get it through the side paned and hide it when not in use.

Both my current bikes have tenders and all have them since 94, including a waverunner.
I hook them up on a regular basis in garage. They have a waterproof model for outdoors if you need that.

Never replaced a battery since using a tender- well once but the FZR was cooking the batt. no fault of tender.

·
Man About Town
1,076 Posts
All that Titanium and gold and carbon fiber makes me feel like I've had a tickle charger. :thumbsup:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
valskater said:
All that Titanium and gold and carbon fiber makes me feel like I've had a tickle charger.
Gonna have to update my avatar and pics in genreal.
I love that carbon look but went back to my stainless scorpion "race only"slip on.
When I get a full system one day it will be carbon or maybe Ti.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ZX10R a "Negative Grounded Vehicle"

When hooking up a Battery Tender with the battery still in the vehicle it says to determine if it is a Negative or Positive Grounded Vehcile.

I assume the ZX10R is a Negative Grounded....but I want to make sure.

Also for ZX10Miami. When you say hard wire the lead to the battery. Are you putting a small extension cable from the positive terminal out to an area that is fairly accessible. Then hooking the positive from the battery tender to that wire or cable? Where do you hook the negative lead from the battery tender? I could not see from the picture. Does it matter what metal area on the bike?

·
talker of shite
7,285 Posts
I'm getting a datatool cat 3 alarm fitted tomorrow, so I'll be needing one of those!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
CentBiker said:
When hooking up a Battery Tender with the battery still in the vehicle it says to determine if it is a Negative or Positive Grounded Vehcile.

I assume the ZX10R is a Negative Grounded....but I want to make sure.

Also for ZX10Miami. When you say hard wire the lead to the battery. Are you putting a small extension cable from the positive terminal out to an area that is fairly accessible. Then hooking the positive from the battery tender to that wire or cable? Where do you hook the negative lead from the battery tender? I could not see from the picture. Does it matter what metal area on the bike?
Tender comes with two hook up options. One with standard clamps for use on diff vehicles and one to hook up permanently to a battery.
They both use the same quick connect so you can use clamps with tender to charge other batteries and still have the permanent lead on your bike.

The permanent lead is fused and has a dummy plug to cap it when not in use. it hooks to battery both pos and negative leads. No ground to bike, just batt.

And yes it is a neg ground bike. Won't overcharge- set it and forget it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you tickle charge the battery, does it laugh? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
ya, and then bucks your ass off!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts