Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, has anyone had an issue with a ticking sounds when letting out the clutch and rolling away? It sounds like it's only in first gear. I'm thinking clutch? I'm gonna check it as soon as the gasket comes in but just curious if that's possible. I feel like I've had a bit of slip in higher gears with full throttle but not major slip so not too sure. 2004 10R
TIA

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
Well, it would be helpful to know if you're actually actually getting any slippage. It's typical that the higher gears show it first because of the added torque required to accelerate in those gears with the ratio.
The ticking noise may be related to the clutch, but you'd have to tear into a bit to be sure. Do you just hear it? Or do you feel it? How is your chain? If it has some tight spots in it you may be hearing it slap the swingarm guide in first gear as the force it applied to it. Check the slack and the overall condition of the chain to rule that out as a possibility.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Is it coming from the front of engine?? Like from the headers?? Tune could be out fuel det-ting in headers??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It feels like it's coming from the front sprocket. I just had tires put on but the chain slack measures okay. I thought maybe bad fuel with pre det but filled with 94 octane and it's still doing it. I think I've felt some slip pulling hard in top gear previously but it's not deadly obvious. It's not there at idle or with revs in neutral, only in gear, I notice it most with a poor launch when the revs drop below idle. I don't know if any of that info helps. I'll have to tear into it to figure out out I think.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think if its more prominent when below idle IE "almost stalling" it is less likely mechanical and more likely un burned fuel in the headers and a different octane fuel wont really make a difference. Have you serviced the bike recently? Is the air filter blocked?? Have you although you haven't mentioned it flashed the bike or tuned it recently or changed anything like exhaust since a flash or tune??? Do you have a piggy back module such as PCV????

Hopefully somebody else can chime in before you start tearing into it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No tune, it's stock with a Muzzy can and I haven't done any changes. I thought maybe the gas because I filled a Jerry can at the gas station and maybe had all the fuel from the hose filling the can before the 91 octane made it into the can, but that's the same as when I fill the bike cuz usually there's a shared hose for the different grades anyway. Maybe I'll run some sea foam I don't know if that actually does anything.
My thoughts are either clutch, fkn transmission, or cush drive. I've attached a video of the rear wheel testing the cush a little, not sure if it would really show play testing it by hand like that thoughhttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f5c61d395991/VID_20200911_201142_8.mp4

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
No tune, it's stock with a Muzzy can and I haven't done any changes. I thought maybe the gas because I filled a Jerry can at the gas station and maybe had all the fuel from the hose filling the can before the 91 octane made it into the can, but that's the same as when I fill the bike cuz usually there's a shared hose for the different grades anyway. Maybe I'll run some sea foam I don't know if that actually does anything.
My thoughts are either clutch, fkn transmission, or cush drive. I've attached a video of the rear wheel testing the cush a little, not sure if it would really show play testing it by hand like that thoughhttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f5c61d395991/VID_20200911_201142_8.mp4

That's not the way you check the cush drive with it neutral. That's pointless. You have to put tension on the sprocket with it in gear and check the play that way to see if the wheel moves while the hub is constrained. you have to try and simulate the conditions for when the noise occurs, not just assume you can feel it by hand by wiggling the sprocket a little bit. That didn't really tell you much.

If it was pre-ignition or after firing from poor fuel, I'd expect it to be obvious in other gears and not just first gear only. You feel that more as the bike struggled to accelerate. It's a good thought, but the symptoms don't really point to that IMO.

If you're feeling it from the front sprocket area and hearing it, then I still think the chain is slapping. With it on the rear stand, put it in gear, hold the rear brake slightly, and let the clutch out. You'll have to be sitting on it for that, obviously. But what do you see/hear when you watch the chain going around and not moving? Can you replicate it that way?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sky, I'll give that a try. Yeah I wasn't sure if that would tell me much about the cush drive, I just saw another video where it was pretty obvious when they tested it by hand like that but I thought it would have to be super fucked to be that loose.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check your nylon chain guide on the front of the swingarm. I have a Gen1 and the chain guide was chewed up so the chain was contacting the swingarm. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just stripped a 2004 Gen 1 engine for a noise when driving it in 1st, and found that the transmission shaft, "the clutch shaft" 1st gear which is fixed to the shaft was damaged.
Basically it looks like the case hardening has failed on the drive face of the gear.
Not sure if its a common problem but its expensive to fix.:cry:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just stripped a 2004 Gen 1 engine for a noise when driving it in 1st, and found that the transmission shaft, "the clutch shaft" 1st gear which is fixed to the shaft was damaged.
Basically it looks like the case hardening has failed on the drive face of the gear.
Not sure if its a common problem but its expensive to fix.:cry:
This trans already has a slipping second gear under power. I feel like having it gutted and rebuilt this winter. That might be more expensive than buying a different bike or a new engine though

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
This trans already has a slipping second gear under power. I feel like having it gutted and rebuilt this winter. That might be more expensive than buying a different bike or a new engine though

Well if it's slipping like you say, that's a clutch problem not really a transmission problem. The gear pairs are constant mesh and won't slip. They either engage or not, but they won't slip. The clutch is pretty straightforward and relatively easy to replace the plates. If you have to get to the tranny, it will be labor intensive if you can't do it yourself. The parts aren't that bad though. A complete engine would be more expensive than all that. Even if you can find one without any transmisison issues of it's own. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if it's slipping like you say, that's a clutch problem not really a transmission problem. The gear pairs are constant mesh and won't slip. They either engage or not, but they won't slip. The clutch is pretty straightforward and relatively easy to replace the plates. If you have to get to the tranny, it will be labor intensive if you can't do it yourself. The parts aren't that bad though. A complete engine would be more expensive than all that. Even if you can find one without any transmisison issues of it's own. ;)
Well that would be great if a clutch fixed my second gear issue too. The previous owner said it was worn dogs on second gear that he hasn't gotten fixed yet so I've just been shifting through second and waiting to crack the case this winter. Makes me think it's worth checking and replacing the clutch just to be sure. I'd be a happy camper if I could get away without trans work.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,566 Posts
Well that would be great if a clutch fixed my second gear issue too. The previous owner said it was worn dogs on second gear that he hasn't gotten fixed yet so I've just been shifting through second and waiting to crack the case this winter. Makes me think it's worth checking and replacing the clutch just to be sure. I'd be a happy camper if I could get away without trans work.

The gear dogs will wear out some and round off the edges as they engage. Unless it kicks out of gear under power, they probably are good enough. A lot of people will undercut the gear dogs for improved engagement. If you're going to go through the hassle of getting to the tranny, find someone who will undercut them for you to fix the issue and don't buy new ones. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
From my experience to see if its the dogs on the transmission. Get into whatever gear you suspect at a lower rpm then roll on the gas hard. If it pops out of gear it needs to be undercut. If it slips its most likely clutch.
These bikes are geared very tall. Both of my other bikes are geared lower and have hydro clutches. I have to "ride the clutch" alot more on the zx10. If i come off the clutch too soon without enough throttle it will make a "rattle" sound until i feed it more throttle. Try to ride the clutch a little more and give it more throttle taking off and see id that addresses the "rattle" sound. .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts