Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

ticking after an oil change

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ripper 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys,

is it possible that the oil change somehow caused a valve ticking noise? It is funny, because the first time i changes oil (went to Royal purple) the engine started ticking. but after adjusting the cct it went away. Few hundred miles later i drained the RP and put in Amsoil.

So now, my stator went out, so i dropped the oil pan to clean out the gunk. I also put in only about 3.5 Q of amsoil, the rest was RP along with a new stator. And now it ticks again!! Seems like the bike doesn't like even a bit of RP. But on the serious note, is it possible that somehow an oil change caused it?

the last time my stock cct was adjusted was 1.3k ago (put it one click out)

edit: the noise comes from the top left (away from cam chain...)

#2 ·
R.P. is all I use, I liked the wear results we were seeing at my job so well I became a dealer. I dont see how that could cause a ticking at all. Is it in all rpm's? Your sure its not the cct? You say the first time it went away AFTER adjusting it?

#3 ·
this is the first time the tick reapperared after my 1 click adjustment 1.3k ago. the tick gets noticeably quieter (almost non existent) when the bike warms up, but still ticks. i dont want to tighten the chain more because im not sure if it the cct. What else can it be (OVERNIGHT --> NOT GRADUAL)

#5 ·
I have the same tick,..................started a lil while ago,.........I am thinking it is an exhaust leak !....I am hopin so anyway!....I have put 3 exhaust systems on my bike in the last 2 years and am now running the Full Akra Evo......I have bought 4 of the brass or copper exhaust seals(rings) that tuck up into the ex ports before the header is installed!...........I am thinking that these are somewhat like brake line crush washers and after time and refitting exhausts so many times....and maybe overtightening, they have lost there perfect seal. ???............don't know,..............but I wll post resluts after I install the new ones this weekend!

#6 ·
I have the same tick,..................started a lil while ago,.........I am thinking it is an exhaust leak !....I am hopin so anyway!....I have put 3 exhaust systems on my bike in the last 2 years and am now running the Full Akra Evo......I have bought 4 of the brass or copper exhaust seals(rings) that tuck up into the ex ports before the header is installed!...........I am thinking that these are somewhat like brake line crush washers and after time and refitting exhausts so many times....and maybe overtightening, they have lost there perfect seal. ???............don't know,..............but I wll post resluts after I install the new ones this weekend!
ugh copper sucks IMHO we've tried it in all our race cars and they always end up leaking very fast and are non reusable(if your nuts back off its done) ive always had great luck with the cheap ass header seals(paper, graphite)

And a slight tick that goes away when it warms up sounds like lifters to me, probably nothing you need to worry bout unless it gets worse, maybe drain the oil again and try that mine had a similar tick but i just changed my oil and its gone!

#9 ·
awesome!!.......I am gonna replace the header seals anyway........they are factory Kawi replacements and they don't do me any good sitting on the shelf........I just have not got around to it this weekend!.......glad you fixed your ticking issue man!.......I will also make sure my header bolts are tight whem I replace the gaskets!.........I am sure this will do the trick!..........hope it is not a valve ticking though,........but regardless,.season is almost over and I am gonna have some head work done before I lay this cam and thin HG in anyway,.so I will have them check it out also!......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.