Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know who all has done there own valve adjustments?
I have done them on my Dirt bikes and quads but never on my zx10...if you could post up any helpfull info...that would be SUPER!...lol

are they shim over/shim under?...looking for the valve spec's...and best place to get a shim kit..

thanxs -Paul

·
Registered
724 Posts
They're shim under bucket, get a service manual (stickied in perf and tech) and READ it. It's not hard to do...I haven't done it on my 10 yet but have on both the ZX9's I had previously. If you've ever done moto valves the biggest tip I can give you is take your time and don't rush it. The spaces on these bikes to work in are VERY tight...so don't get frustrated with having to move things around or squeeze things out. Search on this forum for posts on valves...I'm sure someone has posted a full writeup (because this forum kicks ass and there are writeups on everything else). Otherwise about the shim kit...I swear someone sells a kit for $80 somewhere..just google motorcycle shims...otherwise try Motion Pro. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Drain Fade is absolutely correct. Take your time that is probably the best advise in adjusting vavles. As far as tips go there are really no short cuts or quick ways around this one. When remoiving the cam caps loosen all cap bolts evenly. The cams are hollow and could very easily snap. Same with install. Install and torque the bolts evenly. Also get the correct torque specs and correctly torque them down. Get new gaskets for the valve cover and tube grommets. Last thing you would want is for a leak after you just put everything back together. Get a digital caliper and a set of feeler guages specific for valves. Your local dealership should have the shims in stock. It is shim under bucket and it uses the really small shims. Trust me a digital caliper when trying to measure the shims is a must. Also the specs should be in the PDF manual you can download off of this forum. Good luck man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts