Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but when I go to open her all the way up, sometimes I have to readjust my grip to get full throttle. :(
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an adjustment for this?
Something better I can do, or different?
I realize the less I have to crank on the throttle to get wide open, the more careful I will have to be, so maybe Kawasaki did this for a reason...
I dunno.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
ME TOO!!! I was just playing with this problem today and I concluded that I might have to start adjusting the angle I hold the throttle.....or not. I 2nd that suggestions........

J

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Me three, maybe we can get a 1/4 turn throttle DOUBT it unless one of you are good at inventing stuff, I guess it will be another mod we will half to wait for damn new bikes!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Any of you guys with race bikes please answer up! I've heard of the throttle conversions being on race bikes which allow full use of the entire powerband with much shorter twisting radius's. Seems like an odd question to ask but i've wondered about this many times. I do wonder though if its "rideable" for street use?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you guys adjusted your throttle cable to take out the stock play that is there??

If you look on the cable coming out of the throttle housing you will see an adjustable twist knob, just adjust that to take out the free movement on the throttle.

I have mine set to where I'm either on idle or HOLD ON TIGHT. Freaked the dealership mechanic out not long ago. Took it in for a checkup and when the mech got on to give it a ride he popped the front tire of the ground.

So make sure you dont get it too tight, also after you do adjust it my advice is baby it until you get used to it or it will walk out from under you fast.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
FYI.
Before removing the throttle cable slack turn the front wheel completely lock to lock and ensure it isn't pulling on the cable (effecting the idle)before tightning.

BD

·
Registered
354 Posts
Frankyoz said:
Me three, maybe we can get a 1/4 turn throttle DOUBT it unless one of you are good at inventing stuff, I guess it will be another mod we will half to wait for damn new bikes!
Now that would be a wicked thing in the twisties! (get a 1/4 turn throttle) :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am sure they'll make a 1/4 turn throttle kit soon. Most of the time it's just an insert on the throttle tube that makes the diameter a little bigger. I don't really recommend these unless you have some serious throttle control. Not really good for wheelies either, since it's so twitchy. Just my .02...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know what your saying as far as removing the slop from the throttle. This i have already done. Mine as well is set for idle to freak status immediately. I would like to try the throttle conversion kit, however, requiring less twisting of 'da wrist. Man, that would be fun gettin' used to it.YeeHaa!!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I am not talking about throttle slop, just the radius of the throttle itself it seems like a long pull from idle to 12k. I had a 1/4 throttle on my R6 and I loved it fit my riding style allot better than the stock one. I agree maybe a 1/4 throttle would be a bit much for the 10 but maybe a 1/2 kit would do but i have never heard of one being made.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wheelup702 said:
I am sure they'll make a 1/4 turn throttle kit soon. Most of the time it's just an insert on the throttle tube that makes the diameter a little bigger.
Thats what I'm talking about, I can learn the thottle control...hopefully :)
If anyone hears of one for the 10 let me know. (Seems like that would be a universal thing though...) Or if you can just slide something home made in there that would be cool to. Either way let me know. [smilie=b:

·
Registered
10 Posts
NATOR said:
Any of you guys with race bikes please answer up! I've heard of the throttle conversions being on race bikes which allow full use of the entire powerband with much shorter twisting radius's.
There are a lot of racing throttles on the market for 22mm handlebars/clip-ons (prices are around 20-30 $/€). It's just a throttle with a larger radius wheel.
Is it rideable on the street? Yes, I think so, but of course this is up to rider preference. The throttle will be much more sensitive to every wrist movements (some might find that this makes the bike feel jumpy).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Kawasaki has had race kit thottles parts for a number of years, this year the one from the ZX600RR can be adapted, you have to make some spacers to take up the free play with the 600 kit cables. I think it is around 6-8 mm on each cable and this brings it back the normal adjusting range. Most of Kawasaki teams will be using these parts. It reduces the total angle of the twist grip from zero to full throttle and means you do not need a universal joint for your wrist to get full throttle.The are expensive and there may be some aftermarket parts for less money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record, but it does seem like it would help to get rid of the slack in your throttle cable.

Mine had 10-15 mm worth of play when I got it from the dealership(the book says no more than 5 or something like that :eek: ) and I noticed the other ZX10's at a few dealerships I've been to since then have had that exact same amount of slack in the throttle cable.

Maybe Kawasaki does it as some kind of last minute squid helper?

Anyways, I had to lift the tank and pull the airbox to get to the decelerator cable to make the initial adjustment. For some reason it's buried down there. The accelerator cable is further forward and you can get to it without removing anything at all.

It made a huge difference though. I didn't even notice how bad it was before I got rid of that slack.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
2-3mm is just right.....however check the lock to lock while the bike is idling to ensure theres no increase in RPM's.

BD

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Squid Vicious said:
Not to sound like a broken record, but it does seem like it would help to get rid of the slack in your throttle cable.

It made a huge difference though. I didn't even notice how bad it was before I got rid of that slack.
Cant speak for everyone else but I've adjusted all the slack outta mine.

If someone could post a link for anything like this that would be helpful, seeing as how I've never seen anything like it and wouldn't know the first place to look, as far as websites.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
SP8's right, you're looking for a 1/5 conversion. The stock twist grips rotates 90 degrees, or 1/4 turn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts