Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having a problem on my Gen 2 ZX-10. I have searched the forum (and others) and can't find any solutions.

The throttle is incredibly light both on and off throttle. It makes throttle control so difficult.
The bike responds well to throttle inputs and is (reasonably) smooth considering.

So far I have tried:

Lubing and re-routing the cable
A load of WD40 on the outside of the throttle bodies.
A new throttle assembly; cable, tube and grip.

I suspect that the throttle bodies themselves are the culprit, either the return spring or just general grime on the internals.

So two questions...
Is it likely to be the throttle bodies?

Is it possible/reasonable/worthwhile to fit Gen 3 throttle bodies on a Gen 2? (my brothers Gen 3 throttle is super smooth with good tension)

TIA
Ed

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
I'm confused by this a bit. If the throttle is "light", that implies the force on it. So why would you be spraying WD40 and lubing the cables in that scenario? That would make it even lighter in force. Grime on the internal throttle plates would make it too "heavy" from the increased drag. If you mean "sloppy" with some slack in between going from on to off, that likely indicates a broken cable or the tension isn't properly adjusted between the 2 cables.

I don't believe the Gen 3 throttlebody is a direct swap. I'd have to refresh my memory on that. The Gen 2 has 4 fine spray fuel injectors. The Gen 3 has 8 fuel injectors between the TB and the upper airbox fuel rail. It would feel the same, but I'm not sure if it will respond the same. Probably more hassle than just trying to figure out the issue you have whether it's too light or too sloppy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm confused by this a bit. If the throttle is "light", that implies the force on it. So why would you be spraying WD40 and lubing the cables in that scenario? That would make it even lighter in force. Grime on the internal throttle plates would make it too "heavy" from the increased drag. If you mean "sloppy" with some slack in between going from on to off, that likely indicates a broken cable or the tension isn't properly adjusted between the 2 cables.

I don't believe the Gen 3 throttlebody is a direct swap. I'd have to refresh my memory on that. The Gen 2 has 4 fine spray fuel injectors. The Gen 3 has 8 fuel injectors between the TB and the upper airbox fuel rail. It would feel the same, but I'm not sure if it will respond the same. Probably more hassle than just trying to figure out the issue you have whether it's too light or too sloppy.
Thanks for your reply

I agree that WD40 would likely do nothing, I was just clutching at straws really.

The throttle requires very little forces to turn, but the bike responds perfectly to throttle inputs. It's is a little slow to return, but doesn't stick. It's is almost as though the spring has lost its tension.

Sounds like Gen 3 TBs are not really worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The G3 throttle bodies will not fit! Many things different. Has your throttle bodies ever been removed and dismantled by previous owner? It is possible that the spring was incorrectly re-fitted. With bike off, open throttle "WOT" and let go there should be and no less that an instant snap back with a loud positive clack as the butterflies snap home, any less than that and its dangerous to ride. You have new cables on that are free running, you now have to remove those bodies strip it down to remove spring, they are not an individual item so refit with 1 extra turn in spring, no need to re-fit to bike to find out if it now SNAPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The G3 throttle bodies will not fit! Many things different. Has your throttle bodies ever been removed and dismantled by previous owner? It is possible that the spring was incorrectly re-fitted. With bike off, open throttle "WOT" and let go there should be and no less that an instant snap back with a loud positive clack as the butterflies snap home, any less than that and its dangerous to ride. You have new cables on that are free running, you now have to remove those bodies strip it down to remove spring, they are not an individual item so refit with 1 extra turn in spring, no need to re-fit to bike to fond put if it now SNAPS.
Thanks for the reply, this sounds exactly how mine is behaving.

I don't know if the throttle bodies have been off before. But it's entirely possible that the spring has been fitted incorrectly. I'll take them off and strip them.

Thanks again for the detailed response. I'll post a response as to whether this solved the problem after I've carried out the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts