Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Finally, jumped off the Honda bandwagon and picked up a 96' zx7r. It's got 58k and counting with the original clutch (that's going to change within the next month or two) I bought it from the original owner. The condition the bike is in with the mileage really says alot about Kawasaki build quality and definitely more so about their owners, in my opinion.

I know there is a zx7r forum, but I don't believe this question is limited to that specific model... so here it goes. First, the throttle on my bike works. I've never dealt with the dual cable throttle, with both the open and shut off cables. The problem is when you twist the throttle open it's not going to shut off on its own you have to roll it back off. It's not life threatening *knock on wood lol but it's getting annoying. I lubed the cable... I think it might be the throttle tube itself, since that's original too along with the grips. I noticed that one of the cables is just kind of going across the throttle tube without sitting in and sort of "plastic valley" it just doesn't seem right. Also, one of the holders for the ball at the end of the cable is broken... I know that can't be causing everything but maybe its a sign to just get a new tube?? Thanks for any imput, especially if you've dealt with this before. :hello:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it carburated or fuel injected? I have a 73 triumph bonniville 750 that did that and it was the slides inside the curburetors was sticking. I just cleaned them and polished them real good and they work fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, it is carburated. I'll have to take a look at that tomm. I was kind of hoping for the easy way out lol

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
ok here's a easy test grab some wd-40... twist the throtlw now pull back the flat part of the grip the part against the kill switch. spray some wd right there. let sit for 2 or 3 seconds. now try it... grip is to high up on the bar and griping the abs in the kill switch. solution slide grip down 2mm

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
damn, 58K on the original clutch!!! holy crap, did that guy ever use it?

on your issue, maybe if its spring loaded the return spring has lots its "spring"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know it is definitely crazy mileage for the original clutch.. Well I just went into the garage to roll back the grip from the killswitch hub and I loosened the barend protector also, so as to free up both sides of the throttle... WD-40 everywhere let it sit and still exact same "I'm not snapping back in place" feeling... maybe it is is the slides... can the cable be sticking anywhere? The throttle just feels so gluey when you twist it back.. if that's even a word... thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
hmmm you know what pat im talking about. i may be descibing it wrong.. uhh the "pancake" side of the grip.... shit im fubaring this....

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I would say get a new throttle return spring and throttle tube and go from there.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
on my zx7 there are two cable's for the throttle on open and one closer..did i read correctly that the ball on the end of the cable is broken ..?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duran it is not the actual ball that is broken, it is one of the plastic pieces on the throttle tube that secures the ball, it must have chipped off over the years, it still holds the ball at the end of the cable but barely. You know the plastic parts that are like ( ) and the ball at the end of the cable fits inbetween... one on the pieces is gone.

SCZX I know what part you are talking about, I don't know how they would refer to it "technically" lol pancake works for me. I rolled the pancake part of the grip back onto the hotdog shaped section :dontknow: It is still sticking.

Where would the throttle return spring be located, because when I took the throttle housing apart, the one with the killswitch, there was just two cables... maybe there's suppose to be a spring there :idea: that would solve alot

I think I'll head over to the local parts shop and pick up a new tube and find out about that return spring sometime tomm

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Replace the cables and make sure they are routed so they dont bind. take off the throttle tube and clean under and in it and you should be good. If not then its in the slides in the carbs.

Tread

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
SiP Racing09 said:
Hey Everyone,
I've never dealt with the dual cable throttle, with both the open and shut off cables. The problem is when you twist the throttle open it's not going to shut off on its own you have to roll it back off.

I might be way off here, but arent dual cable setups called "push/pull" throttles, meaning that there is NO return and thus the "push". It could be that the throttle is operating just as it is supposed too:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
The 10 has a push/pull system and it has a throttle return spring. Go to wide open throttle and take your hand. Does it snap back by itself? If it does it has a throttle return spring. If it doesn't you need a throttle return spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts