Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***numbness....didnt spell check. ****

What the hell do I do to fix this.

Ive noticed sometimes that after a while of riding, my throttle hand (right hand for the newbies..lol) starts going numb and I get pins and needles. Ive tried adjusting my position, hugging the tank with my knees to relieve wrist pressure...but nothing. I have to sometimes, clutch in and shake my right hand off to get circulation back.

Anyone have similar experiences ? Its not only uncomfortable but also dangerous!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
At what rpm are you at when this happens the most? If it's around the 4K range, then it might be the engine vibes getting to you. I went to these, Manic Salamander Bar End Weights, and it moved my vibration down to about 3K.

I also had someone tell me that if you tighten (flex) your core muscles, not just your abs, but all of your core muscles, it will help take the pressure off of your wrists. I won't lie to you...this hurts the first week or so, depending on how much riding you do. After, all, you are doing a workout while riding. But, it does help tremendously!

my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Rotate the entire brake perch downwards. Most likely you've never adjusted that. All you do in loosen the two clamp bolts and push the lever down. That will relieve the fatigue on your wrist. Or it could be vibration. Get some weighted bar ends and that will help.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
ducatiryder is right...I didn't even think about that because I always do that first thing when I get a new bike.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes you want your knuckles in line with your arm. Same with the clutch perch as well. This helps fight fatigue by letting blood flow. When your wrists are bent up it impedes blood flow to the extremities giving you that numbness sensation.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes you want your knuckles in line with your arm. Same with the clutch perch as well. This helps fight fatigue by letting blood flow. When your wrists are bent up it impedes blood flow to the extremities giving you that numbness sensation.
:+1:

I get this ALL the time, im getting old and yet im still young.
2 things I noticed
1-when I rest my body right on my hands right under the fingers against the bars will numb, cutting off circ.
2- gloves too tight and positioned wrong.

now I ride as straight up as possible using 2 fingers to control the throttle on long rides, sometimes I lie on my left arm.

resting on the palm is hard throttle control.

might also wanna try cruise control
http://www.throttlemeister.com/

Im 5-9 making this bike's ergo a lil rough for me, but gotta have the ten.

forgot to add, passengers increase this numbness fast (at least in my case) now I ride solo, plus she has the opportunity to ride when ever she wants with other bikes in the garage.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Also when it comes to grip and what not, I use my body and legs to steer and ride more so then my arms. I have a very light grip on the handlebars. That might help as well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
carpnal tunnel boys i have that from to much use of hands, might get a operation to remove the stuff inside. I ride 1 hand al the time.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
carpnal tunnel boys i have that from to much use of hands, might get a operation to remove the stuff inside. I ride 1 hand al the time.
:+1::iamwithst i swing a hammer for a living and got me a case of it myself...its either from that or:jerkit:
:dontknow:

nyc zx10 i get the same numbness and pins and needles you described

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
buildup of cartilage near blood vessels narrows the blood passage and hands go numb easy. easy operation to fix just few weeks in bandagges, we don,t need no stinkin bandagges or somethin.:lol:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
All the above suggestions are good and the first things to do, I let the numbness be a reminder that I am slouching. Adjusted my levers the night I brought the bike home and I don't ride with a death grip.

I've had a zx 6 right side clipon hanging around since It came with my front master cylinder and I've often considered ordering the left one to match and mounting them.

They have less droop as I remember and may also sweep back less.

Or there are helibars and the like but since I have one zx6 clip on already and it would look stock I'd go that way.

Someone has done it from this site and liked it and long ago I posted a comparison picture of the zx6 bar compared to the stock bar but can't find it right now.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yeh im shure u can swap out the bars for some the feel better, i did that before but not to a 10 some better grip to will help. i am gonna adjust my leavers also. probably that throttel conversion so my wrist ain,t cocked al the time would be good also.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I let the numbness be a reminder that I am slouching.
This made me remember....duh...

One problem I had toward the end of last year was I had numbness along with neck pain. Had it checked out and the result was many things. Part of it was age and part was riding position. Because of age, 40, my discs are compressing and not as thick as they used to be. Because of this, there is not as much space between the vertebrae. So, when riding long periods, leaned forward with my head cocked back, tended to compress the nerves. This irritated them causing them to swell. This caused initial numbness and then eventual pain.

Along with tightening my core, I try to make sure that I push forward with my shoulders (changing the lean forward angle) with puts less angle on my neck. I also roll my head down just a little and look more up with my eyes.

Sheesh. The things we do so we can keep riding the beast we love!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
i switch hands. put my left hand on the throttle across the tank and shake out my right hand.

took me some time to control the bike while doing it, but it works.

it mostly happens to me when i have a passenger, or if your riding straight for a long time... :dontknow:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
this happened to me on the racetrack three weeks ago at beaverun. i am going to try to switch to a 1/5th throttle...hopefully that will fix the problem...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts