Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good walk through for doing a TB Sync on the Gen 5?

What specialty tools do I need to order? Do I really need to purchase the Kawasaki KDS Ver. 3 ???

I was looking in the FSM and the first thing it says is to remove the TB's from the bike? Really???

I've done it may times on my GSX-R1000, no special tools needed other than the carb stix.

I love it says to "Connect Highly Accurate Tachometer"

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need kds3, and active throttle balance process to synchonize.
You can see it in service manual gen 5.
Crap, that KDS is expensive. I just couldn't believe everyone doing this has to buy that!

I have CarbTune and all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the KDS is a Dealer Only item. How the "F" are we supposed to sync the throttle bodies? :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

·
Registered
450 Posts
From what i have seen on cars and I think G5 throttle body is same as Fly by wire like anything else in the market ,the Sync is done on bench at factory , the KDS scanner is only use to reset the ECU to the Throttle body ( as it is called marry the unit to ECU) , so it is not like old stuff that you turn screws and sync each port .

So if the throttle body is out of sync you will get a code and then you need to replace it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what i have seen on cars and I think G5 throttle body is same as Fly by wire like anything else in the market ,the Sync is done on bench at factory , the KDS scanner is only use to reset the ECU to the Throttle body ( as it is called marry the unit to ECU) , so it is not like old stuff that you turn screws and sync each port .

So if the throttle body is out of sync you will get a code and then you need to replace it.
The fact there are instructions on how to Sync tells me it is something that needs to be periodically checked. I just can't believe you can't even purchase the KDS tool, it's dealer only.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The fact there are instructions on how to Sync tells me it is something that needs to be periodically checked. I just can't believe you can't even purchase the KDS tool, it's dealer only.
on page 3-56 the instruction is for replacement not adjustment ,I can not find anything about adjustment on the manual , if you find it let me know .

·
Registered
450 Posts
Starting bottom of 2-17
so you referring to Engine Vacuum Synchronization Inspection, not throttle body sync, engine vacuum is for idle control which need to put the ECU in limp mode with scanner to perform that procedure.

That is not the butterfly sync like old throttle body . now i see what you meant.

·
Registered
450 Posts
But as you read down...it sure looks like syncing the throttle bodies to me.
yes they using 4 port beside one that was used for older model with butterfly adjustment ,but to me it looks like the idle adjustment and that will not adjust the angle of the each butterfly for each port , and idle solenoid adjust the Idle after the computer takes over , but if that is what you call it then good .

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,131 Posts
i may be able to help with KDS but its extremely expensive. We had to order a new one recently for our service dept at work and the KDS Adapter is the expensive part retailing at $804.68.

Item Number: 57001-1725
Availability:
Qty L R Pkg Qty
1 + + 1
Description: KDS3 ADAPTER Status: ACTIVE
Dealer Price: MSRP: $804.68
Inventory Type: OTHER Eligible for Exchange: NO
Vehicle Use: MC JS AT SX

It can be ordered pretty much by anyone and if not then you can but it on Ebay. I saw it listed 2 times on ebay.
I just can't believe you can't even purchase the KDS tool, it's dealer only.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts