Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I tried removing the secondaries and stripped one of the screws and can't get it out. I am trying to remove the throttle body and have followed the instruction in the maintenance manual. Is there a secret? They won't come out...they wiggle slightly, but won't budge. Any help I can get will be appreciated. Or, how do I get the screw out without getting shavings into the engine. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
You're talking about the secondaries right? I think most use a needle nose vice grips to get a stripped screw out. Most have said that heating up the end of the screwdriver and holding it on the screw for 10 seconds or so helps loosen the loctite up to get them out easier.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unscrew the allen screws a little more, until they are really loose. Then wiggle the throttle bodies while applying force up. They should come out.
Do not forget any FI connector plugged in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've taken the allens all the way out. I'll keep trying to wiggle. I've also tried the needle-nosed vice-grips and all I am doing is getting metal shaving when they slip off. Trying to keep the stuff out of the engine.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You're removing the throttle body assembly? or the secondory butterflies?
There are "How to" on both of the above, check it out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've taken the allens all the way out. I'll keep trying to wiggle. I've also tried the needle-nosed vice-grips and all I am doing is getting metal shaving when they slip off. Trying to keep the stuff out of the engine.
Do not be scared and apply more force up. It´s stuck in the rubbers

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
as a lot of people have done, put some toilet paper in the bodies to catch the metal shavings.. what i did was i put toilet paper on there and then a little moist toilet paper on top.. this way the metals shavings stick more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a magnet to get the shavings off of the first set of butterflies, but is there any way to make sure nothing got through? Is there a way to make sure the cylinder is free of crud without having to take the engine apart? Great advice about the TP. Which I had thought of that before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts