Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an entire throttle body set from eBay and have it installed. But now that it is on there I have noticed something that I need to ask experts here about.

The right two throttle plates are the ones that are actually moved by the throttle cables. The left two throttle plates are moved by a small pad from #3 throttle body touching and moving the #1 and #2 throttle plates shaft.

However the way it is functioning now, the #1 and #2 throttle plates do not move until the #3 and #4 plates have moved about 20 degrees. That is because there is about a 1/4" gap between the right throttle shaft pad and the left shaft pad. So the right two throttles move quite a ways before moving the left two.

That can't be right, can it? I can't see an obvious way to adjust it.

Can any one comment on this and give some advice if this is right or not and if not how to fix it?

Thanks
Don

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
There is a center adjusting screw between #2 and #3 for adjusting the right and left banks of TBs.

But, you should not be doing this by eyeballing it. You need a synchronization gauge and need to set the air screws properly on match the level between #1/#2, do the same for #3/#4 and then match the 2 halves using the center screw. If you don't have a carb/TB sync scale, I'd take it to a shop. If you get way out of whack on the adjustment, the motor will run like poop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply SkyDork. I looked for such an adjustment but did not see one. Logically there should be a screw on those two pads that adjusts the gap, but there is not. I will look again.

Don

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
there is i small stiff spring between these two pads about that long, pita to put back. sounds like yours is missing. the tabs have a dimple to center and keep the spring in place.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hey don, get the 10 close to runnin again? ever figure out why it siezed up at the flats? and the plates should all be synchronous, if they're not it's not going to run properly. you need special tools to do this. it may be worth your time to find a tuning shop around where you moved, too bad you're not still up here, coulda knocked that out for ya.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am slowly getting the ZX10 back together. It was a race bike for 2 seasons and now I am returning it to a street bike. The reason why I bought the new throttle bodies is because the salt wrecked the original ones. All else seems OK. I will see for sure what the story is when I get all the fuel and electric problems straightened out.
Thanks for asking.
Don

hey don, get the 10 close to runnin again? ever figure out why it siezed up at the flats? and the plates should all be synchronous, if they're not it's not going to run properly. you need special tools to do this. it may be worth your time to find a tuning shop around where you moved, too bad you're not still up here, coulda knocked that out for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts