Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just reading the manual and I noticed it says to replace the sparkplugs every 7500 mikes!!! is this true???? If so I need to change them. Also what is involved in changing the spark plugs I was sewer remove gas tank and then remove airbox also and then I can access them ???

also I posted this in the general section because im bugging out. I went to change out my K&N filter and decided to spray some throttle body cleaner in to clean the carbon that I could see above the secondary butterflies. anyway I did spray a generous amount, 5-10 seconds per throttle body. after I thought I herd bubbling so I twisted the throttle and I herd a rush of fluid falling down into I guess was the engine. I put the bike back together and say 20 minutes later went to go start it, I was scared of the thought of hydrolock so I tapped the starter button a few times and I swear it seemed to feel locked or stuck or dead battery like, I pressed it real fast like 3 times and it ddnt seem to be turning the engine, so I pressed and held the button and it didn't do anything like a dead battery, so I shut off the key, waited a minute and then tried again and this time it cranked a little hard at first but then went to a fast spinning cranking of the engine and after a few tries it started. it idled fine but im really worried that I damaged my engine. would I know if there was even a slight amount of damage? im not even sure I hydroclocked anything but im paranoid now. I was just going to order a bunch of parts for the bike and now im like fuck what if my engine is damaged in some way that I don't know yet because I haven't gotten a chance to ride it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was just reading the manual and I noticed it says to replace the sparkplugs every 7500 mikes!!! is this true???? If so I need to change them. Also what is involved in changing the spark plugs I was sewer remove gas tank and then remove airbox also and then I can access them ???

also I posted this in the general section because im bugging out. I went to change out my K&N filter and decided to spray some throttle body cleaner in to clean the carbon that I could see above the secondary butterflies. anyway I did spray a generous amount, 5-10 seconds per throttle body. after I thought I herd bubbling so I twisted the throttle and I herd a rush of fluid falling down into I guess was the engine. I put the bike back together and say 20 minutes later went to go start it, I was scared of the thought of hydrolock so I tapped the starter button a few times and I swear it seemed to feel locked or stuck or dead battery like, I pressed it real fast like 3 times and it ddnt seem to be turning the engine, so I pressed and held the button and it didn't do anything like a dead battery, so I shut off the key, waited a minute and then tried again and this time it cranked a little hard at first but then went to a fast spinning cranking of the engine and after a few tries it started. it idled fine but im really worried that I damaged my engine. would I know if there was even a slight amount of damage? im not even sure I hydroclocked anything but im paranoid now. I was just going to order a bunch of parts for the bike and now im like fuck what if my engine is damaged in some way that I don't know yet because I haven't gotten a chance to ride it.
If this ever concerns you again do this:

Take your alternator cover off and using the correct socket, turn the crankshaft in the correct direction for three full revolutions. This will ENSURE there is no fluid in the cylinders. Put the cover back on and start your bike.

Relax. It is very unlikely you could have done your engine any damage unless you sprayed the entire contents of the can into one cylinder.

BTW, We do this to airplanes all the time (old ones with round engines).

Yes the manual is not bullshitting you. I just did the plugs on my GSX-R after 7511 miles, it calls for that. They looked pretty ragged.

Good luck!:helmet:

·
U.S. Marine Corps Veteran
288 Posts
I personally hadn't changed my spark plugs between 7500 miles and over 20k with no issues.

The job itself is very easy, especially with smog block off plates eliminating all the junk under there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read this on Wikipedia under Hydro lock is this true for our bike ?? If a cylinder fills with liquid while the engine is turned off, the engine will refuse to turn when a starting cycle is attempted. Since the starter mechanism's torque is normally much lower than the engine's operating torque and momentum this will usually not damage the engine but may burn out the starter.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I just read this on Wikipedia under Hydro lock is this true for our bike ?? If a cylinder fills with liquid while the engine is turned off, the engine will refuse to turn when a starting cycle is attempted. Since the starter mechanism's torque is normally much lower than the engine's operating torque and momentum this will usually not damage the engine but may burn out the starter.
Hydro lock is really uncommon these days unless the engine is vandalized or some other weird thing is going on. Where it used to happen a lot was with radial engines where your oil would fill the lower cylinders if the plane sat for a while. Thus we would turn the props through for three revolutions, usually 9 blades, to make sure all was well. Each cylinder in your bike holds 250 ml, a cup or so. Just about impossible to fill one with liquid.

But to your original question; no that is NOT true for aircraft engines, it was entirely possible to bust an engine all to hell with the type of starters used on those engines. Your bike does not have that kind of starter, so it's true for you, though.:wink:

·
288 Posts
Hydro lock is really uncommon these days unless the engine is vandalized or some other weird thing is going on. Where it used to happen a lot was with radial engines where your oil would fill the lower cylinders if the plane sat for a while. Thus we would turn the props through for three revolutions, usually 9 blades, to make sure all was well. Each cylinder in your bike holds 250 ml, a cup or so. Just about impossible to fill one with liquid.

But to your original question; no that is NOT true for aircraft engines, it was entirely possible to bust an engine all to hell with the type of starters used on those engines. Your bike does not have that kind of starter, so it's true for you, though.:wink:
Very informative and interesting post. Does spinning the props by hand push all the fluid out of the exhaust valves?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very informative and interesting post. Does spinning the props by hand push all the fluid out of the exhaust valves?
No, it lets you feel whether you've got that condition. If you run into resistance you stop and then pull the plugs on the cylinders that are full of oil. Otherwise you could just crank it with the ignition off. If you crank it and the cylinder happens to be on the compression stroke it's bent connecting rods and junk like that.

I'm not too heavy so I darn near have to hang from the prop blade on those bigger engines.

·
288 Posts
No, it lets you feel whether you've got that condition. If you run into resistance you stop and then pull the plugs on the cylinders that are full of oil. Otherwise you could just crank it with the ignition off. If you crank it and the cylinder happens to be on the compression stroke it's bent connecting rods and junk like that.

I'm not too heavy so I darn near have to hang from the prop blade on those bigger engines.
Ahhhh! I got it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
your original thoughts are right, u hydrolocked the engine. easily done spraying int. tract with fluid as combustion chamber volume is only 21cc's at tdc compression stroke valves closed. downdraft carbs will do it quickly leaking as they leak into intake port instead of externally. experienced it many times on customers bikes. low viscosity of cleaner will leak past ring gaps given time freeing engine. didnt harm engine as described.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, glad to hear you know what I experienced firsthand and that I didn't damage my motor. I'm like seriously OCD when it comes to my bike and riding yesterday I didn't notice anything different whatsoever and I went over it with a fine tooth comb

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
know exactely what u experienced. just had a 2000 zx9 come in recently not running. cleaned carbs, reset float levels, sync'd, all u do to carbs. bike fired right up, idled fine, responded good. cut if off to pull tank, attach airbox. heard a little gurgling sound, opened throttle without looking into carbs first and sounded like i flushed mini toilet. closed int. valves standing deep in fuel, open went into cyl. engine locked at touch of starter. fuel pouring up from needle. guy that had been working on carbs before tore all the float needle o rings where seat bolts into carbsletting fuel leak around the float seat. about as firsthand as it gets.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you agree that the starter doesn't have enough power to damage anything internally it just won't turn ?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
So you agree that the starter doesn't have enough power to damage anything internally it just won't turn ?

If the cylinder was completely full and wouldn't let the starter turn at all, there wouldn't be much to worry about. But if the motor starts to turn and there's enough fluid to hydrolock it before it reaches TDC, the inertial and starter can do damage

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because I was afraid of Hydro lock after the toilet flushing sound all I did was tap the starter button as quickly as possible just to hear the motor like tap tap tap tap and then I held it and it didn't move so I shut off the K waited a minute turn the key back on and then I just push the starter all the way and it slowly started cranking so I'm not even sure it was ever fully hydro-locked and I don't remember the engine actually starting to turn before Stopping. I just remember tapping the starter and not hearing anything move . I don't really know I keep trying to replay the incident I had 1000 times but I guess there's no point anymore since the bike ran great yesterday. I had a scare I learned what never to do in a motorcycle ever again nothing happened and now nothing ever will

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the motor slowly turned pretty much right from the start that would mean that it never truly Hydro locked right ? Because if it was then it wouldn't turn second try in under a minute after initially doing the tapping the starter method? wouldn't it take a lot more time to drain than that . Into the valves pass the rings whatever It went. I just can't see how that little starter with a seven-year-old battery has enough power to bend any internal motor parts . Maybe I should call Kawasaki headquarters and talk to some customer service person or something and ask them if their starter is powerful enough to damage anything in a Hydro lock situation

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
You're forgetting the starter motor is geared to the flywheel. The torque of the starter is amplified because of this gearing. If you were to defeat the starter lockout features and crank the motor while the bike was in gear, you'd be alarmed at how fast the bike propelled forward on just that tiny electric motor.

At this point, if anything was seriously damaged (bent rods, ring damage, popped head gasket, etc), you'd know it as the motor wouldn't be running right or developing full power. Like I said before, it's doubtful you did any damage to it and without doing a full teardown of the motor and inspection there's nothing more to do. Quit worrying about it and ride the bike at this point.

The only "real" concern would be that some of the cleaner leaked past the rings and into the oil, thinning it out somewhat. An oil change MIGHT be prudent at this point. But that's a big IF.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just sent an email to Kawasaki directly for tech support. I explained in great detail the experience. I will share the info as soon as they get back to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts