Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renewed my throttle cable recently and somethings not right. The slack in the cable seems to be fine but the bikes not running right.

It has a very rough idle and stalls when opening the throttle. If i start the bike with the throttle opened a bit it runs fine.

What I noticed is that when I start to twist open the throttle i can feel a step in the action of the throttle where the 3&4 primaries and 1&2 primaries open.

Not sure if i explained it well, but when looking at the throttle bodies, i can see the 3&4 primaries open first when i twist the throttle, until the little tab on the wheel where the cables are hits the wheel that opens the 1&2 primaries.

Are the primaries meant to open at exactly the same time? I cant seem to adjust them that way. There is a small hex locknut over an allen key stud that adjusts the slack between the 1&2 and 3&4 primaries but when I adjust it in the bike wants to idle extremely high.

Sorry if its hard to understand my description, I'm not really sure what the wheel is called where the cables attach to

·
Registered
901 Posts
What you just posted, is that for a 3g or his 1g?

My 08 has 17k on it and has been running a little rough around the edges, and losing power. How often do the TBs get out of sync? I guess I should have it looked at as I don't have a vacuum gauge.

What would be some tell tell signs that my TBs need to be synced?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

My 08 has 17k on it and has been running a little rough around the edges, and losing power. How often do the TBs get out of sync? I guess I should have it looked at as I don't have a vacuum gauge.

1st Gen

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

I would guess throttle response would be erratic. I got around 16.5K on mine and my throttle is fine. A true way to tell is to get you 1 fancy vacuum meter or four simple ones and check for calibration. A bad TPS would cause throttle issues as well but most likely trigger a error code. if you want I can screen shot the 3rd gen checks/adjustments as well.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would guess throttle response would be erratic. I got around 16.5K on mine and my throttle is fine. A true way to tell is to get you 1 fancy vacuum meter or four simple ones and check for calibration. A bad TPS would cause throttle issues as well but most likely trigger a error code. if you want I can screen shot the 3rd gen checks/adjustments as well.
Well, my bike is currently in the shop getting worked on.. Valves adjustment, and everything else that he thinks needs to be adjusted and fixed..

I however, have been experiencing throttle issues.. Say 4-5k. If I would be cruising and then chop the throttle hard, it would want to shutter and hesitate. Other than that, the bike has felt like it has been losing power over time..

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Before I would go into all the hard to DIY things, I would look at the simple stuff. Type of fuel, air filter, plugs,etc,,,,,

·
Registered
901 Posts
Before I would go into all the hard to DIY things, I would look at the simple stuff. Type of fuel, air filter, plugs,etc,,,,,
Already done everything that I could do.. literally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found the problem

Thanks for posting the tb sync. I found the problem with the throttle. I must have dislodged the little spring between 1&2 and 3&4 primaries while i was fishing for the broken cable.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks for posting the tb sync. I found the problem with the throttle. I must have dislodged the little spring between 1&2 and 3&4 primaries while i was fishing for the broken cable.
The only thing it could be as far as I can tell.

This spring?

Mines a 3rd Gen, but how in the world did that happen?:mrgreen: Throttle cable is on the side of the throttlebodies...

Not giving you a hard time. Sh*t happens.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
ccspeed,

I had a thread on removing the rod out of my throttlebodies for my secondaries, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, a very basic, simple way to sync. 1&2 with 3&4 is with a piece of shim stock. I used Red in this pic. The gap will depend on you idle setting.
If I understood your problem correctly, then this will verify that with the spring in place your primary flies are together.

The shim stock should have a "slight" amount of drag on each of the 4 throttlebodies. Adjust accordingly if needed.

Hope this helps. If not, disreguard...:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts