Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..how the hell do you get this damn thing off?!?!?! :BangHead:

Air box is off..Ive loosened up the 2 clamp bolts on either side...undid the electrical harness...air hose...blah blah...but the fugger will not BUDGE! I cant see a good area to really grab and tug..but ive tried gently rocking back and forth..and it will but move...any suggestions?:dontknow: Im tempted to say screw changing the thermostat and just doing a good flush and clean on the cooling system but I already spent close to $40 on the parts. Also...is it possible to remove the #3&4 header pipe without removing the radiator?? Is there a way to jsut tilt it forward to get better access to the header bolts????

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?? :dontknow:

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
If u never had them off.. keep rocking there r very well seated!
Putting them back will be a little tough as well so use very little lube to get them seated down..

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If u never had them off.. keep rocking there r very well seated!
Putting them back will be a little tough as well so use very little lube to get them seated down..
Ive never had them off personally...but im sure they were off last winter when I had the valves done. Are they set in a boot? (individual boots) When you say 'lube' will the stuff I use to instal mt tires work? (its a tire mounting lube) I Just dont wanna crack that plastic plate on top grabbing that sucker and rocking it.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
Yes, they are fit down into a rubber boot that has a lip on it. I'm assuming you've already got the boot clamps loose, correct? They have a clamp like a hose clamp that you need to release first. Then you need to just pull them out. It's easier to lift on one end to start them. And they will take a lot of pulling to get them loose initially. The rubber will sort of fuse to the throttle body barrels.

But don't pull on the plastic airbox plate. Remove that plate and then lift on the TBs themselves.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they are fit down into a rubber boot that has a lip on it. I'm assuming you've already got the boot clamps loose, correct? They have a clamp like a hose clamp that you need to release first. Then you need to just pull them out. It's easier to lift on one end to start them. And they will take a lot of pulling to get them loose initially. The rubber will sort of fuse to the throttle body barrels.

But don't pull on the plastic airbox plate. Remove that plate and then lift on the TBs themselves.
yea the boot clamps are loose. How do I get the clamps for the airbox plate loose..thru the same hole in the frame for the tb clamp screws??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
yea the boot clamps are loose. How do I get the clamps for the airbox plate loose..thru the same hole in the frame for the tb clamp screws??
The airbox plate screws in from the top. There's no holding clamps for it. They are located on the top and bottom of each of the intake trumpets. Should be 8 bolts to remove and that plate will come off the TBs. Then you can get your hand around one side of the TB assembly and lift them out of the holders.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The airbox plate screws in from the top. There's no holding clamps for it. They are located on the top and bottom of each of the intake trumpets. Should be 8 bolts to remove and that plate will come off the TBs. Then you can get your hand around one side of the TB assembly and lift them out of the holders.
wow..i honestly never noticed then bolts holding it on..lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Sorry at work but do as skydork says and youll be set..
Touch of oil will work dont soak em . Just enough to ease them back in boots

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry at work but do as skydork says and youll be set..
Touch of oil will work dont soak em . Just enough to ease them back in boots
Sayin fuck it on changin the t stat. My tb won't budge and on the gen 2 it clamps holding the airbox plate on. Jus gonna do a good cooling system flush instead. While I'm in here think ill yank out the secondaries and maybe cut down the ram ait tubes..anyone have insite on that?? They seem pretty restrictive in the front...thinking on takin about half off??

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
U sure u loosened or removed those bottom clamps? They shouldnt be that bad.. if u get one side up first the other half will follow..

Ive seen cut down air tubes, but i doubt your gonna gain anything... for those flys remove them and use a good screwdriver..

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
U sure u loosened or removed those bottom clamps? They shouldnt be that bad.. if u get one side up first the other half will follow..

Ive seen cut down air tubes, but i doubt your gonna gain anything... for those flys remove them and use a good screwdriver..
Yea I had the clamps loose..almost backed the screw out of the clamps..lol. I'm thinking my cooling issue was in my head . If worse comes to worse ill have the stat put in when I have my valves checked this winter. I used that prestone flush so let's see how that does. The screws for the flys were pretty easy to get out actually...had a screwdriver that fit nice and snug.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts