Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, does a thread exist about preferential ways of washing your bike?

Any comments on no water cleaners?

I've never washed a motorcycle, I imagine just be careful of some of the sensitive bike parts, and then otherwise wash the painted parts like normal.

I was hoping to find a cleaning tips thread....

Any products people swear by?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
i never use any water or soap like washing my truck, I just use spray detailers and a good wax every few weeks to keep things like bugs and road grime from sticking to things... other than that no water for me only water the bike does see is when I get caught in the rain...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you don't want a bike covered with scratches, swirls, and "spider-webbing" do yourself a favor and do not follow very much bike cleaning advice given on this forum.

There's no reason to wash a bike differently than a car/truck. Here's the basic process.

Supplies:
2 buckets
2 wash mitts
auto detergent
possibly some simple green or wd-40
microfiber towels for drying
rubbing alcohol-optional
polish and wax or cleaner wax-your preference
applicators
microfiber towels for removing dried polish/wax

If it's been a long time between cleanings you might need to use some simple green or wd-40 to get the grease and/or bugs off. If the bugs are bad use a bug sponge and I use an old toothbrush to clean any gunk off the sprocket/chain, engine, etc. Once that's done, fill one bucket with soap/water mixture and the other with clean water. Spray the bike down. Use one of the mitts and start with the underside of the tail, the wheels, and the lower fairings where the majority of the dirt collects by dipping the mitt in the soap bucket, washing a section of the bike, then rinsing the mitt by dipping it in the clean water bucket.

Once done with those parts of the bike, dump the buckets out and refill them with fresh soap/water and clean water. Use the other mitt in the same way you did the first one and clean the rest of the bike. This doesn't take long on a bike so you can wait until the whole bike is soaped down to rinse the soap off.

After rinsing the bike off well dry the bike off. If you have one of the blowers made for this, a clean leaf blower, or shop vac the process can be sped up and you can do a better job of getting the water out of all the nooks and crannies on a bike. But if not microfiber towels will do a fine job. Remember to take the passenger seat/cowl off and dry inside the trunk. Then I start the bike up and let it run for a few minutes. I don't know if this is necessary or not. It's just something I've always done. In my mind it heats up the engine, exhaust, etc. and gets rid of any moisture in those areas. Whatever you do, DO NOT go for a ride to blow the water off the bike. That might get rid of the water but it also puts dirt and dust right back on the bike.

Nows the time where you decide how involved you wanna get with polishing and waxing your bike. Doing the two phase polish and then wax will produce better results but the newer cleaner waxes do a "good enough" job with less time and effort. To do this, basically follow the instructions on the tub/bottle. Use good cotton or microfiber applicators to apply the product in a back and forth motion. Don't rub in circles like many people do. That's how most swirls are put into your paint. Then, depending on the product either let it dry to a haze and remove with a clean microfiber towel or immediately wipe it with said towel.

Now step back and admire your clean and shiny bike and know that you've taken the time to detail it properly and that it will look better than the other bikes in your group.

·
Registered
162 Posts
since i live in an apartment i don't get to use the soap and water treatment often. i just use plexus and a microfiber cloth for the paint and another old one for the wheels and chain area that gets really dirty. i then usually follow up with a wax. i've got some meguiars nxt? maybe. it works okay, not the best polish and shine though. the thing i like most about it doesn't flake up and leave little white flakies all over the bike like some other waxes

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well we should all say do a search there are many Washing Bike Threads but to be honest I need a reminder or slap in the head every now and then to wash my poor dirty bloo bike. :bitchslap: to self. :badteeth::helmet:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Meguiers ultimate detailer, micro fiber cloths and a very light touch(my bikes black, pain in the arse!) meguiers tech 2.0 wax and she looks like new. I also use their clay bar kit on my rims, makes the dust just fall off pretty much. Tooth brush and kerosene for the chain(which I need to do) and she's showroom clean.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I start off washing with normal carwash soap. Use fukkenwax on the wheels. Takes brake dust, chain wax, road grime right off. Then use meguiers tech 2 on the paint. Only microfiber towells. And for quick clean ups between washes i'll use either a mothers or meguires quick detail spray. But eveeryone should check out the fukkenwax. It takes off bugs and everything. Great product!!!

www.fukkenwax.com

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
if you have a black bike, turtle wax came out with a black box set just designed for black bikes!!! I say buy it and you willl never buy anything again!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use the S100 from Cycle Gear. That stuff works like magic. I never use water on my bike, I think I saw someone say that before, unless I get caught in the rain, cause the weather people in Fl are always wrong.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
its not like it bad to use water it just leaves a lot of small little bubbles every where, in less it rains my bike never sees water, only spray wax cleaners, wax, and other cleaning products!!!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i have been using that rain x bug and tar remover + wax. i like what it does, and it smells great:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
regular garden hose, bucket with regular auto car was soap, fluffly mit, I was everyting down good, rinse, then I use an electric leaf blower to blow away all the water from all its hiding spots. Then I polish the bike, lube the chain, take it for a quick spin...done!!

16K on my bike, and when I took it apart the other day to remove the flies, I noticed how clean everything was under the tank as well. The engine was spotless, and BTW, no hint of rust on anything or any type of water damage to anything.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Lemon Pledge ... that' all I've been using for the last decade and all my bikes look like the just came off the showroom floor!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yea I was told pledge is almost the same as any spray wax.

I just wanna put this out there, I have a coworker that rides a V rod and stores it at my place. He is a detailer only guy and never used the hose until he tried it. I felt so bad for his bike it looked like it was washed with sandpaper half its life. I rubbed it out with polishing compound and washed and waxed it (with a hose) and he hasnt done it his way since. A real wash and good wax makes all the differance to me. I just put a bag over the pipe and go at it. I also picked up a motorcycle blowdryer that works awsome.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
ajrocket said:
Yea I was told pledge is almost the same as any spray wax.
I just wanna put this out there, I have a coworker that rides a V rod and stores it at my place. He is a detailer only guy and never used the hose until he tried it. I felt so bad for his bike it looked like it was washed with sandpaper half its life. I rubbed it out with polishing compound and washed and waxed it (with a hose) and he hasnt done it his way since. A real wash and good wax makes all the differance to me. I just put a bag over the pipe and go at it. I also picked up a motorcycle blowdryer that works awsome.
:+1:
...that is what most peoples bikes look like that don't get washed with water. It's just that they, A:don't care, B:don't know what to look for, or C:don't want to admit it.

I've never understood how people can think that is the way to clean a bike. Or anything, for that matter. Even my dirt bikes get washed with soap AND WATER. I think part of it is because people feel like since sportbikes are mostly plastic that they don't need to do the regular things to them. But the thing is, it doesn't matter one bit what the material underneath the paint is. You're cleaning and caring for the paint so you treat it the same way you would the paint on your cage.

Unless, that is, you guys that use the various spray detailers, waxes, etc. go out to your driveway and spray your car/truck down with them and wipe them off with a towel. :badteeth:

·
Registered
843 Posts
WRONG!!! None of my bikes have ever been washed with soap and water and they all looked unbelievably immaculate! Any spray polish like Pledge or Honda or Harley spray polish is good enough... They leave a beautiful shine and you never have to worry about any spots or rust... The less water that touched the bike, the longer the finish will last! Stop leading folks down the wrong path with your soap and water shit! Every bike I've sold, i've sold for top dollar because they all looked like they were brand new!:

'04 Buell XB12S... Never touched water... sold it 3 years later... Looked brand spankin' new!

'06 636 Never touched water... sold it 3 years later... Looked brand spankin' new!

'05 ZX10R..Never touched water... sold it 2 years later... Looked brand spankin' new!

Could keep on posting all my bikes from the last 2 decades but, I think you get the point... Water corrodes after frequent washing.... water and soap dull after frequent washing!

All ever used since I've been riding was one spray polish or another... for the past 3 bikes, just plain ole Pledge, nothing else... cleans plastics, mirrors, aluminum, chrome, casings.. you name it, Pledge cleans it! Trust me on this one!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts