Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just installed my Healtech X-TRE yesterday on my '09...and here is what I have to say:

Install time = 1 hour total. Pretty good since I am OCD about mod installs and everything else about my vehicles.

Ease of install = pretty easy! The directions are VERY easy to follow.

Operation = It's ready to go when installed.

Overall = If you do not have this mod...I would highly encourage you to get it! It isn't like strappig a rocket to your ass or anything, but it definately makes a difference in first, second and third! A noticeable difference!

Smoother roll-on, smoother exhaust note, and a noticeable power bump on the butt dyno.

It just makes the ZX10R feel more like a ZX10R.

A very good mod and well worth the price. Got mine from SuperBike Supply.

Tips:

General =

-Wait till you are almost out of gas. This way the tank will be empty.
-Have plenty of light in your work space.

Gas Tank = have something as tall as your frame close to the bike and lean it over to the left side...this will avoid having to remove the hoses.

Take your time and enjoy the install...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Seems good, but I'm just afraid of making my throttle response more choppy.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Isn't the timing retard the heart and soul of the rear wheel anti-slip? or does the ECU still retard the timing when it senses the wheel slip?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

·
T Double D
870 Posts
my xtre works somtimes and somtimes it doesnt it will work well for about a week and then it will go haywire and the gear indicator will flash and the oil light will come on and the bike will go into safe mode then i go in and re soder the wires and it all works well again for about 2 weeks the crap again

·
Registered
641 Posts
Old thread revival:

Which setting are you on btw? I set mine to 6th gear months ago when I installed it and never tried any of the other settings. Options are 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. I took 6th to be the most aggressive timing map, but wondering what 4th(neutral) was all about?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The main reason I am looking at it is the very technical track I race at. 3.5 miles and 40 something turns. There is a lot of off/on throttle transistions which the GEN III bikes have a problem with.

Does the XTRE smooth these out ? Does it eliminate the popping and backfiring going from off to on throttle ?

Listen close at :04 and :13...this is what I want to get rid of.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thats great i was just going to post a thread asking the same thing. i think ill keep my 150 and put it towards a pcV if thats the case with the xtre. btw a guy i ride with has one on his 08 and his 04 has the gipro w/ atre and he says he only feels the difference on the 04 he actually tossed the 08 xtre in the trash in front of me because he said didnt want to sell it to anyone and rip them off too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:+1:
old thread revival:

Which setting are you on btw? I set mine to 6th gear months ago when i installed it and never tried any of the other settings. Options are 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. I took 6th to be the most aggressive timing map, but wondering what 4th(neutral) was all about?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Put one on my Gen3 a month ago.Does not eliminate popping but smooths it out a bit.
Kims still works.There is not a huge difference in throttle response,but it does sharpen up the first 4 gears.No choppiness at all.I've had mine on the 6 map since install,and wouldn't bother changing it.It's not too aggressive.
Use the wire clamps provided(don't solder).It's a good product,the difference is only slight,but you can notice it.For me it was worth the $$$$
The 4 map is like not having it on at all.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Put one on my Gen3 a month ago.Does not eliminate popping but smooths it out a bit.
Kims still works.There is not a huge difference in throttle response,but it does sharpen up the first 4 gears.No choppiness at all.I've had mine on the 6 map since install,and wouldn't bother changing it.It's not too aggressive.
Use the wire clamps provided(don't solder).It's a good product,the difference is only slight,but you can notice it.For me it was worth the $$$$
The 4 map is like not having it on at all.
Great way to describe it. I think if someone put a TRE on your bike without telling you, it wouldn't stand out right away. But you'd just think that your bike had never felt so lively, so responsive. It did affect wheelies for me. Bike was hesitant to come up on clutch up wheelies because of the retard before in higher gears, but after the mod, no problem. I still have mine set to 6th gear position. I wouldn't throw mine in the trash, and I don't think it's a ripoff. I think with threads like this, people should have a better idea of what to expect when they do buy one. My expectations were so high going into it that I was underwhelmed by the performance increase. After riding it a few miles on the highway and doing some 1-4th gear rolls whacking the throttle open, I could tell a difference, but again, I was needing to be conscious of it. Even stock, the bike gets moving along pretty quick when opening the throttle, so prior to this mod, my concentrations were holding on, and making sure obstacles around me wouldn't be in my path.

If I had it to do over again, from everything I've read...it sounds as though the freebie mod of removing the butterflies does even more than a TRE or X-TRE in regards to instant throttle response. At this point, I satified enough with the gains, and too lazy to want to pull off the tank/airbox to try out the 'flies' removal. And given the number of people that have had issues stripping their threads trying to remove their flies...well, that's just another reason.

Let me digress a bit more. Anytime you do a mod, there are different levels of success. Let's just call it 1-5.\

1) I think it might feel a bit faster...not sure
2) Yeah, it's a hair quicker but not a whole lot
3) Yeah, I can tell a difference
4) oh yeah, this mod definitely makes a difference, noticeably quicker
5) Holeee schnikies, this things is a fuggin' rocket now, was not expecting that!

The X-TRE falls in the 2-3 category. The axle-back exhaust I just put on my civic Si last night is a 2 at best. When I had my 99 GSXR 750 with a full exhaust and then had it re-mapped/dyno tuned it was a 4. When I put my front mount intercooler on my AWD eclipse, injectors, piggyback ecu, and cranked the boost from 16-20 psi, it was a 5!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Placebo only. Like you said the ECU hack proves only neutral is different and the XTRE doesn't have a neutral option.

Some bikes benefit from the higher gear settings, apparently healtech was too lazy to review each bike and just went with what worked on some bikes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here's the settings list from the instructions.Shows Gear 4 map as being for future use,Map 6 as typical and Map 5 as Softer setting.
Mine definately does better power wheelies since install.MM,I will try the other 2 settings in the next couple of days and report back the findings from my butt dyno if you wish.

Attachments

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Isn't the timing retard the heart and soul of the rear wheel anti-slip? or does the ECU still retard the timing when it senses the wheel slip?
I thought that's what the "slipper clutch's" job?:dontknow::mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'll be pulling the X-TRE off my bike this week when I change back to stock plastics. My throttle bodies are fully modified and I really don't think it is doing me any good. Just extra weight.

I will post it in the for sale section, but if anyone wants to make an offer for it, shoot me a PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts