Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, caught another nail in my rear 2CT over the weekend with around 2,500 on both front and rear. I love the way the tires steer and their grip but the rear was almost to the wear bars in the center and was starting to get blocked, so I'm not too sad.
I'm thinking about going with a PP Road 2 rear and keeping the front 2CT as the tread is near new. I'm trying to get better mileage from the rear while keeping enough grip for spirited street riding. Your thoughts? Anyone else running this setup? Need to make a decision today. Thanks

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I usually run a "one harder" in the rear combination. I wouldn't think twice about running this setup. ...no worries...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually run a "one harder" in the rear combination. I wouldn't think twice about running this setup. ...no worries...
Awesome, that's seems to be the consensus that I've read so far. Just ordered it from my local guy. Thanks
I'll report back once installed and I accumulate some miles on it

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
400 or so miles on the Road 2CT rear and so far I am extremely pleased with the grip and feel of the tire. If it holds up to 5,000 or more miles I will say that I've (finally) found my preferred tire combo!

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I had that setup on my Gen1 a few years back. I liked it and put it through aggressive street riding without issues.

I'm about to go back to it on my Gen4 and I will tell you why.

I recently mounted up the S20's, and I love the hell out of them. They offer incredible grip for aggressive street riding, and inspire great confidence through the turns. However, I've put 2,100 miles on them and already hit the wear bars in the center of the rear :headshake I've been riding a lot lately and really don't feel like replacing my rear tire every month. I had my first ride on these tires Aug 25th, and I already have to replace them.

I'm confident enough in my riding ability to go to the Pilot Road rear and PP front

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had that setup on my Gen1 a few years back. I liked it and put it through aggressive street riding without issues.

I'm about to go back to it on my Gen4 and I will tell you why.

I recently mounted up the S20's, and I love the hell out of them. They offer incredible grip for aggressive street riding, and inspire great confidence through the turns. However, I've put 2,100 miles on them and already hit the wear bars in the center of the rear :headshake I've been riding a lot lately and really don't feel like replacing my rear tire every month. I had my first ride on these tires Aug 25th, and I already have to replace them.

I'm confident enough in my riding ability to go to the Pilot Road rear and PP front
I feel your pain, dropping nearly $200 every 2,000 miles sucks! Like you, I'm confident in my abilities so a little less traction in place of double the lifespan is a no brainer for me.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I'm gonna keep the S20 front on and replace it with the PP2CT when the time comes.

Also, I miscalculated my mileage. It was actually 1,900, not 2,100

Sent via iPhone

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after a 1,000 miles or so I can say that I am very pleased with the Road 2 Rear and PP 2CT front combo. Plus, the rear is nowhere near fried yet like my PP 2CT and Pures were after 1,000 miles. The only compromise that I have noticed is a little less traction on braking or decel when vertical. At lean everything is good. Oddly there is no sense of loss of traction while accelerating when vertical. Anyways, like I said I am very pleased and expect a lot more miles before I'll have to swap the rear again.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
This is good to know. Ive been thinking about getting a Road 2 and seeing how it goes. Gonna probably try this at some point.

Also, rep sent because you keep updating this thread, not just posting a question and then vanishing without telling everyone your thoughts after the fact.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is good to know. Ive been thinking about getting a Road 2 and seeing how it goes. Gonna probably try this at some point.

Also, rep sent because you keep updating this thread, not just posting a question and then vanishing without telling everyone your thoughts after the fact.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
:thumbsup:
I'm on my second set of Pilot Power 2ct front and Pilot Road 2 rear tire. Usually ran 32 psi up front -38 psi rear all year around.

I got 5500 miles out of my front tire, it had a few more miles on it but with the chance of riding home in the rain I changed it out. The center was wearing thinner then the sides because of commuting back and forth to work.

The Pilot Road 2, I got 6200 miles on it. The center had worn near the wear bars and the sides were worn down maybe half way down. Just regular "spirited" riding home and weekend riding, I was able to use the entire sidewall.

I've never had any issues with wheel spin, which includes 2nd and 3rd gear clutch up wheelies, temperatures varying from 40 to 110 with never any issues. I've purposely wheelied coming out of corners while still leaned and it carried the front end easily.

I honestly don't ever see me trying or using any other tire or manufacture, this works perfect for me.

Attachments

Reactions: phasterthanyou

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I ran low pressures on my PR3 rear to get some better feel in the twisties...32 psi...I got 3k fkn miles out of the rear :eyecrazy: :headshake

Running a BT016 rear now and I love it...feels better than the stockers...

Hope I can still get my hands on one when I burn through this one...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:thumbsup:
I'm on my second set of Pilot Power 2ct front and Pilot Road 2 rear tire. Usually ran 32 psi up front -38 psi rear all year around.

I got 5500 miles out of my front tire, it had a few more miles on it but with the chance of riding home in the rain I changed it out. The center was wearing thinner then the sides because of commuting back and forth to work.

The Pilot Road 2, I got 6200 miles on it. The center had worn near the wear bars and the sides were worn down maybe half way down. Just regular "spirited" riding home and weekend riding, I was able to use the entire sidewall.

I've never had any issues with wheel spin, which includes 2nd and 3rd gear clutch up wheelies, temperatures varying from 40 to 110 with never any issues. I've purposely wheelied coming out of corners while still leaned and it carried the front end easily.

I honestly don't ever see me trying or using any other tire or manufacture, this works perfect for me.
6,200 miles, amazing!!!!! Agreed, I think this is my new combo as well. Thanks for the helpful post, including your PSI. I tend to run the 42, but now will adjust to 38 in the rear considering the miles you get.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run this exact setup on a gen 3. 5k out of the back tire. Takes longer to warm up tho

I run my pressure on the road 2 at 32 and I'm lookin at atleast 7k

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Been running the regualr pilot power up front & PR2 on the rear for years. A set of tires usually lasts >6k miles if I don't do a lot of burnouts. Haven't bothered trying the PR3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts