Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How smooth were you able to get the foam? Mine is far from smooth, especially around the edges. Wondering if there was a malleable epoxy or something that could be applied in a thin layer over the foam to fill in low spots...?

·
Registered
641 Posts
what you want to do is not cut the top of the seat, but pull the foam off the plastic backing and cut the underside of the seat foam that mates to the plastic. That way even though the side that you cut isn't perfect, the side facing up that the vinyl covers is still pristine/smooth. Yet, it still has the same lowering effect.

Here's a link showing what I'm talking about with an r6:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...e-seat-without-lumps-maintain-stock-look.html

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
use an electric turkey carving knife(dont let your wife or mom see you do it) it will cut it and keep it pretty smooth then when you recover it go to walmart in the quilting section and get 1/2" thick batting and cover the foam with that first then you wont see any of the imperfections in the foam. :thumbsup: if its already cut you can use a grinder or sandind disc on a 90 degree die grinder that will get you smoother then use the batting and cover

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
go to an upholster! got mine done for 60 bucks and it looks like stock even though it was shaved with softer padding put in by the upholster ontop of the thinner stock padding =D

look in you local pages

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
remember, inside is a harder than hell shaved stock layer on the bottom with a super ass-tastic softer up layer for my royal ass :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
the upholster guy (Jason in Riverside CA if anyone wants his info, pm me for his number) asked me what i wanted. At first i told him i wanted it shaved, i thought if i had it shaved half way it would be half as hard, therefore more comfortable. He told me even if he shaved it it would just be a more flat hard seat for me to ride, not necessarily more comfortable. I asked him what he would suggest, he said, he thought it would be most comfortable if we shaved at least more than half the original foam off and replaced it with a thin layer of softer foam. The original foam is hard and will give support to the softer foam on top he said, which overall would make it a comfortable ride without my seat having to be replaced if it was completely made of soft foam (which he said would not last as long).

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
hmmm i might want to do this...any one ever replace their seats with like a corbin or something like that

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've been thinking about shaving mine just to get down "in" the bike more. Not worried about comfort.

I have shaved a seat on my old MX bike. I put a step in it anyway. A carving knife makes it easy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
the upholster guy (Jason in Riverside CA if anyone wants his info, pm me for his number) asked me what i wanted. At first i told him i wanted it shaved, i thought if i had it shaved half way it would be half as hard, therefore more comfortable. He told me even if he shaved it it would just be a more flat hard seat for me to ride, not necessarily more comfortable. I asked him what he would suggest, he said, he thought it would be most comfortable if we shaved at least more than half the original foam off and replaced it with a thin layer of softer foam. The original foam is hard and will give support to the softer foam on top he said, which overall would make it a comfortable ride without my seat having to be replaced if it was completely made of soft foam (which he said would not last as long).
can you still slide around on it? for the twisties

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
can you still slide around on it? for the twisties
it slides less because its less hard, but you only have to put in a little bit more effort vs stock to make it slide so no biggie in my opinion. You slide, just less, but then again i slide around so much on my old stock bike seat because im so light that now its more like a "normal" amount of sliding with the shaved seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts