Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up my new carbon fibre slip-on today and went home to install it. Now I'm not a negative person but if shit happens it will happen to me. The small metal piece that bolts on to hold the lower spring just wont fit as per the instructions. What is happening is that in the photos with the installations instructions there appears to be a vertical ridge much smaller than what is actually on the bike. The larger ridge on the bike is preventing the metal piece from fitting flush therefore it will not fit properly to hold the lower spring. I'll attach some pics and hopefully that will explain it.

Actual photos of my bike:
DSC02210.JPG

The last pic is from the instructions. Damn, I thought the 04 and 05 models shared parts such as this.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
yup its plain to see the 05 has the added vertical ridge for strength to the bracket. I would contact the retailer and Akra themselves with pic#1 so they can atleast make it right for future customers.

If i were you i would dremel that ridge flat (just as the 04 is) and be done with it.

moved to tech.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
its not designed to fit that way! its designed to fit right behind the rubber gromet/spacer combo just like mine does.

BD

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Granted - and a bad pic as well, but I just zoomed it to 400% and dotted the line that looks like it separates bracket from arm. Again, this is just what I'm seeing here - I do not have an Akro - but I'd swear the arm goes behind it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, thanks guys. The photo of the instructions are hard to see because I had to take a digi pic of a photo on paper. I just went and bent the bracket a bit and bolted it behind the head of the bolt and washer. As you can see it can't be fastened from the back side as indicated from the yellow circle. It all worked out I'm just a bit pissed because I left it until late and wanted to get out tonight and try it out and I just expected better than that, I'm a stickler for order and consistency. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just installed a akro slip-on on my 05 and mine does not have the ridge by the mounting hole like yours does. :dontknow:

Here is a pic
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
mozx10r said:
I just installed a akro slip-on on my 05 and mine does not have the ridge by the mounting hole like yours does. :dontknow:

Here is a pic
[/URL][/IMG]
maybe its a cali model?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mozx10r said:

Here is a pic
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, I'll be damned. I'm going to have to look into this.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
WTF is that spring for anyways? Most of the other s/os don't have that. Its bolted to the header with a clamp, right? Then the can is fixed to the right rear passenger peg, right? So why then would you need a spring to hold the mid-pipe to the header? Is this a floating system?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to the dealership to look around today and they had 5 05 zx10s and 1 04 zx10. The exhaust header on the 04 is exactly like my 05, But every 05 they had on the showroom floor had the reinforced webbing around the mounting hole. So I ask the manager what the deal is and he said that it was possible they made an exhaust change mid-year and used all the extra 04 header pipes that were left over. So just to make sure I checked the 10th digit on the vin number and mine is an 05. I guess I got lucky and didn't have to work around the reinforcement.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My '05 doesn't have the reinforcements either. Nonetheless, I still ended up putting the bracket just under the bolt head as it seemed to line up with the spring the best that way. I also straightened out the bracket. No big deal either way as that spring is not really needed--that section of pipe is held in place with a clamp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts